Chapter 1: Ballroom Dancing

"You disgust me sometimes, brother," Cordelia said in the carriage as they drove to the Herondale Palace.

"I have car sickness," Alastair pointed out. "Sometimes."

"Sometimes, right," Cordelia said. She pressed her nose flat against the window and looked out. She could see the palace, golden and gleaming in the sunlight. She could see Kensington Gardens, the palace backyard. It truly was huge. Lastly, she saw Lucie. Lucie was bouncing around the walls with excitement. Cordelia was so focused on her that on the way out of the carriage, she stumbled on a step and fell.

Already? She thought furiously. Please don't make a bad impression.

But someone had caught her. She looked up and stared into what Alastair called 'Demon Eyes'. But she didn't think they looked 'demonish' at all. She thought they were beautiful and lovely.

"Thank you, James," Cordelia said as a greeting. She dusted off her lilac dress, which looked utterly horrible on her. Cordelia hoped the Herondales did not notice. Especially James. But he did not.

"You're welcome, Daisy," he said, smiling.

"You remember that nickname?" Cordelia said, astonished. But they were interrupted by Lucie, who was so happy that she could practically sing.

"Don't," Cordelia advised as Lucie took her hand merrily and embraced her.

"Daisy, I'm so happy you're here!" Lucie exclaimed.

"Truly," James muttered under his breath and walked towards the garden.

"What was that?" Lucie asked suspiciously. James shrugged his shoulders and his eyes said: Too bad, you should've listened.

Lucie rolled her eyes and began leading Cordelia to Kensington Gardens, where James was already having leisure and reading a book.

"James, do not sit here," Lucie said. "Daisy is my friend and I think we may need some one-on-one time together. I do not need you to stop around us and get in on our gossip." She smacked James lightly on the shoulder.

"Bossy," James said. "But I shall trail behind you. The garden is not always safe."

Cordelia laughed and went on to follow Lucie.

"So," Lucie said, smiling a great smile. "Do you think you'll consider getting in a relationship with James?"

"Shut up!" Cordelia hissed, not unkindly. "He can hear, and, no, I suppose not. He doesn't love me anyway."

"He was ranting on and on about a girl arriving in London," Lucie said. "And it can't be Grace because she lives here and they broke up. He said she has dark eyes and dark hair..."

"My hair is dark, I guess," Cordelia said, playing with her hair. "And my eyes are dark..."

"Exactly!" Lucie exclaimed. "See? He is head over heels in love with you!"

"Lucie. You can't be sure of this stuff."

"Oh, no I can be. And," Lucie said, taking her arm. "You're coming with me."

~~~~

"This room is quite lovely," Cordelia said. "I cannot believe you chose it to my likings!"

The room was a deep golden yellow and was decorated with some of Cordelia's favourite things.

"I chose most of them," Lucie bragged. "And James chose about three."

"Bragger," James said, strolling in.

"I had better help you dress," Lucie announced. "James, get out unless you want to see Daisy's body." Cordelia blushed and hid inside her closet, pretending to choose a dress. James rolled his eyes.

~~~~

"He looks gorgeous, doesn't he, Rosamund?"

"I wonder who he will ask first."

"Matthew is scandalous."

"Yes, indeed!" Catherine Townsend cried. "You had better watch out for that Fairchild, Miss Carstairs. Or Middleton-"

"Carstairs will be fine," Cordelia said immediately. It was very awkward to have two last names. Her family called her Carstairs and the rest of the world called her Carstairs-Middleton.

"They've entered." Rosamund Wentworth inhaled sharply. Lucie rolled her eyes.

"I don't even know why she is here," Lucie whispered.

"He'll surely ask you, Rosamund," Catherine Townsend said. "You look amazing in that new petite pastel dress." Rosamund blushed and smiled.

Cordelia's chest must've given a jerk and an abnormal movement that should not have been possible because James immediately walked over and made all the girls swoon.

~~~~

"Daisy, would you like to dance?"

The girls fell into a stunned silence and Cordelia, shocked, looked into his palm. He did want to dance with Daisy, that was one reason, but another one was he wanted to avoid Grace and at the same time: did not want to dance with Rosamund Wentworth, who would ask him questions during the whole three minutes.

"I don't- quite know how to dance," she stammered adorably.

"Then I shall teach you," he said, and whisked her into the dance floor.

~~~~

"This is quite a formal ball," Cordelia complimented, James' hand on her waist and looking around.

"Thank goodness you were available," James breathed. "I was worried I had to ask Rosamund to dance and she would ask me questions for three hours."

"Glad to be of service," Cordelia said as James spun her into a twirl. "So, what happened with Grace?"

Cordelia had looked to the doors and saw Grace Blackthorn standing there, so she thought she might bring up the subject. She regretted it.

James's head hung and he began to open his mouth to tell her.

"She explained everything." James' voice was barely above a whisper. "The bracelet I wore, it was cursed. She didn't know who gave it to her."

"Grace could've been better," Cordelia said fiercely. "She was only following her mother's orders."

"I know," James muttered. "She has a life of her own, she can't follow her mother's orders and footsteps."

"Let's rest," Cordelia said, taking his hand and leading him to get drinks. She did not feel particularly thirsty, or the need to get drunk so she snagged a lavender lemonade. She sipped it and felt the bubbles pop in her mouth. She swallowed it with a gulp.

"Care to take a night stroll?" James asked.

"Of course," Cordelia said poshly, took his hand and followed him as he led her out.

~~~~

"It is rather spooky at night," Cordelia announced quietly.

"It is but it is also one of my favourite things to do," James said. "And there have been very few demons around since the Thieves and I killed the last demon in the whole of London."

"I remember the Merry Thieves," Cordelia laughed, thinking back.