Truths

Nicky's POV

Ugh! I'm stuck with this guy and I have no idea what I'm going to say to my father. We're currently walking and I can feel his eyes burning a hole in the back of my head. "So where are we going?" He asked with that amazing voice- No! Stop it!  "To the church.. I need to work and then afterwards ill help you with homework." He chuckled a bit and caught up to me. "So you really are the pastors son? That must suck." I look up and glare at him. "What does that mean?" I asked, he just shrugged and continued to walk with me.

"I mean, you cant do anything fun. Drinking is a sin, sex is a sin, dating is technically a sin but not really. Anything that has to do with ' defiling ' your body is a sin." He answered. He glanced down at me when I didn't have anything to say. "I don't see it that way, I see it as a direct passage to heaven and be with god. Helping others makes me feel good and that's all I need." He rolled his eyes and went quiet. We continued to walk and made it to the church. My father, mother and uncle were greeting people into the building.

My parents saw Eli and they had multiple emotions on their faces. I was confused so I ignored it. "Mom, Dad. This is Eli, I've been assigned to help him get accustomed to our town and school." My parents were all but nice, sending daggers to Eli and hateful glares. My mother was the first to speak. Hello. Eli." Her voice was laced with venom, all Eli did was wave and greet her back. "Hello, Nicky's mother, Father." He walked into the church with me which filled my parents with rage. I was still confused!

"Um.. I'm sorry, they don't normally act like that. They must be having a rough day." I apologized to him for their behavior and went to the back, allowing Eli to follow. "You can stay here, I have to go get dressed." I motioned to a chair where he could sit but he just looked at it and stayed put. I walked to the dressing room, grabbed my robe. It wasn't much just a robe, a white undershirt and black pants. While I was getting dressed I could feel a sudden sense of panic, I turned around and Eli was opening the door and getting in the small dressing area with me. It was just a cubicle with hooks, nothing fancy.

My face turned a light shade of pink when he was pressed up against me with my chest exposed, I had just taken off my shirt when he decided to join me. "What are you do-" my mouth was covered and he seemed focused on something, I stayed quiet and listened for anything. Not hearing anything I removed his hand and went to speak again, but before I could the sound of eerie laughing caught my attention. A goblin, the sound of nails scratching against the wood of the cubicle as they ran across the top made me move away from Eli and look up at him to see his reaction.

Nothing. He was actually looking down at me to see MY reaction to the creature. I paused to figure out why he wasn't freaking out like any other person would, the only reasonable thoughts came through. Either he was a hunter like my parents or he was something my parents hunted. i stepped back as far as i could but Eli pressed closer to me, effectively keeping me in the cubical. The scratching stopped and the small eerie giggles vanished, i looked back to Eli and he seemed like he was listening for any hints they were still there.

"Excuse me, Eli. Can you leave so i can get dressed?" I asked, i was a bit irritated but other than that i wanted to get dressed and leave the small, crammed area. He nodded and left the cubical, i quickly got dressed, threw the robe over me and made sure it was straight with no wrinkles. I left the dressing area and made sure to close the door behind me.

"Sorry about tha-" "You're a hunter..." i was confused, i looked up at Eli and saw a hint of sadness on his face, it set me back for a second to realize what was going on. "what?" i looked at him with a questionable look, he didn't seem to like that. i guess wanting a straight forward answer that i couldn't provide. "You're a hunter. You had no fear, worry or curiosity with the scratches and laughs. if i knew better, you seemed to have already know what it was and have dealt with it before." he crossed his arm, the hint of sadness gone and replaced with hurt. like i should have told him a secret that i was keeping.

"Eli, some places have their own-" "don't you dare try to cover this." i looked at Eli and sighed. "fine... i come from a family of hunters. we run the church and at night we go out and get what ever we can. Only the elders in the family have done that tho. I don't go along with them but i have studied and did my research. is that what you wanted to hear?" it was my turn to cross my arms, to add to it i leaned on my hip with a bit of expectancy on my face.

"Yes, actually. its exactly what i wanted to hear." Eli had a look on his face, something like a personal i told you so. "well..?" i asked, i stood straight and waited. "well what?" Eli asked back. i rolled by eyes and uncrossed my arms. "well, you weren't really freaking out at the scratches and laughs either. so what are you? are you a hunter? Or something worse?" as soon as i said the last part Eli's face grew a smile and his eyes seemed to have darken. the clouds covered the sun making this a bit more ominous. He stepped closer and leaned down to me.

"I'm the demon from you're worse nightmares."