A SECOND CHANCE

Layla was now confined in a room, two guards standing outside the locked doors. It was plain but tidy and comfortable. It held a bed suitable for just one person, a small table with two chairs, and a fireplace. There was no balcony, only a window with a magnificent view, locked as well, so, unfortunately, she couldn't let the breeze in. It also had a small bathroom of its own, and she was pleased to find out that at least, they were evolved enough in the plumbing department. She sighed. Things could be a lot worse. She could have been thrown in a cell instead.

She decided to take a shower. Not only did she need to clean herself, badly, it would also help her relax and feel like a normal human being again. She took off the dress, by now only a reminiscence of its previous glory, and stepped into the shower. She struggled a bit before making out which handle or switch did what, but when finally the hot water hit her body, it felt like total bliss.

While showering, she replayed in her mind what happened, after she introduced quantum physics theory to the people of Ellania. For a few seconds, nobody dared to utter a single word. They were just blinking, dumbfounded and silent. Then the king burst into a boisterous laugh which earned him a deadly look from his wife. He stopped at once and ordered Xander to restrain Layla again and lead her to the dungeons. That started an unprecedented commotion of people speaking and shouting all together at the same time.

To her surprise, Xander didn't move, defying directly the king's command. He stood still, hands behind his back, eyes observing her. Instead, it was Christoph who came forth to obey the king but something told her, it was done more as a way to put his friend out of a difficult position. Sofia was screaming to her husband, demanding Layla's releasement, him shouting back, Margaret was begging either Xander or Lucius, and Christoph was asking how to proceed, in vain.

The royal couple, unable to agree on what to do with her, turned to Xander, who hadn't intervened so far. That led her to the conclusion his opinion was highly regarded. He seemed to think about it for a second and then offered a middle-ground solution. They couldn't release her, he said, before coming to the truth of what was really happening, but instead of the dungeons, she could reside in one of the staff's rooms, with guards appointed outside, both for her safety and everybody else's. The proposition was greeted with enthusiasm from everyone present, including Layla, who had just imagined a dark cell filled with cockroaches, rats, and medieval torturing devices. Margaret offered to lead them in an unoccupied room of the kitchen staff's ward close to her own, so she herself could attend to the girl, providing food and clothes. They all agreed and here she was.

She stepped out of the bathroom drying herself with a towel she found inside, when the door knocked. Her heart started beating faster, hoping it was Xander, but then she heard the all too familiar voice by now of Margaret. "May I come in, child?"

Layla didn't know their ethics, so she felt like she should warn the woman. "Fine by me, but I should tell you, I am half-naked."

The door opened, revealing a Margaret carrying a disc with food in one hand and clothes in the other. She shoved it closed with her foot. "If I knew that, I would have sent Xander!"

This woman's ability to make her feel better was outstanding.

"Bless you, Margaret, you are amazing!" Layla said giggling. She went over to help with the things the woman was carrying. They placed the food on the table. Margaret handed her over the clothes, which consisted of a set of underwear the opposite of sexy, and a simple but comfortable navy blue dress.

"These will have to do for now," Margaret said. "But the queen offered to give money to buy whatever you need on the morrow."

Layla smiled while putting on the clothing. "Yes, Sofia always tries to help. She did that in my other life too." The remark was met with silence. She decided to drop the subject. Anyway, it would be dark soon. "What do you do for light during the night around here?" she asked as she positioned herself on one of the chair tables, staring at the food.