EPILOGUE

He was staying at Anetha's inn for some time now. It was convenient. He arranged all his meetings at the inn's pub. This way he didn't have to move around the city a lot.

The plan was almost ready, and yet the thought didn't bring him the satisfaction he expected it would. Maybe when it was finally done, the fire he longed to feel burning inside him, would at last warm his chest. For what is a man if not his accomplishments? What is he worth if he fails to stand above the rest?

He hated his partners. Obedient but boring. Useful but untrustworthy. And dark, like him. No challenge there. He knew darkness like the back of his hand. He was darkness.

Most days went by, from sunrise to sunset, full of heavy emptiness. At least at night, he had the shadows to keep him company. Tiresome, tiresome life. It would end not a minute too soon.

It was one of those long days when he saw her for the first time. The minute she entered the pub, the air changed. She wore a necklace that palpated with an unfamiliar energy. Ordinary humans wouldn't notice, but he could. He had to get his hands on that necklace.

Without warning, she removed her hood, revealing her face. And she stole his breath away.

He was sure, such a beautiful creature couldn't be human. A fairy, a witch, even perhaps an angel? So, so full of light. Yes, undeniably an angel. An angel carrying a powerful talisman.

Something inside him lit up.

The next day, he went down at the exact same time, with the hope to see her again. He was most disappointed when she didn't appear. He found her again, a few days later.

For the next two weeks, he played cat and mouse. He bribed, and maybe even threatened a little the pub's wench to notify him every time the girl appeared. Then he sat in a dark corner like the good feline he was and expected the little mouse to fall in his trap.

Unfortunately, the little mouse always arrived with company. But he had to have that necklace. After a few days, he started to realize, that he had to have her, too. What was wrong with him? It seemed that this little mouse was playing with his wretched heart, even though a few weeks ago, he could swear he didn't have one anymore.

Then one day, when he was brooding at the bar after a meeting with one of his intolerable minions, she came again.

Alone.

To his uttermost delight, she went ahead to seat on the bar, just two stools away, eyes darting from the bartender to the barrel of beer and back, an indecisiveness painting a small cute wrinkle on her delicate forehead. She played with the pendant of the necklace when suddenly, she halted and turned over to him.

He was sure, he would remember the moment their eyes locked for the rest of his life. The moment his two black depths of a starless sky found her two emerald pools of exotic waters. For a moment, he forgot all about the talisman. Because she was day where he was night. She was hope where he was despair. She was light where he was dark. So unlike, yet so perfectly fitted for each other. The two opposite forces of the universe colliding to make a perfect whole.

He smiled at her and saw her blushing and turning hastily away.

No, no, no, you're not getting away that easily.

"I am sorry," he said, "I didn't mean to startle you. But you seem reluctant to order. May I offer some suggestions on the menu?"

She turned hesitantly back to him, a smile brightening her face. Gods, it was majestic!