Chapter 1

Paige Underwood is a twelve year old living in a small town in Oregon. What she doesn't know is that she's a witch. Her father was a warlock while her mother was a mortal. Paige 's father left when she was young. Growing up, she showed signs of being a witch, but her mother didn't like that. By the time Paige was 12, her mother had kicked her out of the house. And on Halloween, which was tonight.

Paige was currently hiding in an alley, away from all the trick or treaters. All of a sudden, she heard something. She looked to see an older woman at the other end of the alley. She quickly hid behind something.

"Hello?" The woman said. Paige didn't answer. "Dear, I can see you." The woman said.

"Please, just leave me alone." Paige said.

"What are you doing out here in the cold?" The woman asked. She sounded closer.

"Please!" Paige begged.

All of a sudden, leaves and wind whipped around them. Paige knew she was causing it, but she didn't know how to stop it.

"Dear, you need to calm down." The woman said. Paige took a couple deep breaths and everything stopped. "Why don't you come out from behind there." The woman said. Paige stepped out from where she was hiding. "What's your name, dear?" The woman asked.

"Paige." Paige replied.

"I'm Aggie." The woman said. "May I ask why you're out here?"

"My mother kicked me out of the house." Paige answered.

"Why did she do that?" Aggie asked.

"Because of things like this." Paige said. "Stuff like this has happened my entire life and my mother hates it. There's something wrong with me because I don't know why this happens."

"There's nothing wrong with you, dear." Aggie said. "You're just a witch."

"But, witches aren't real." Paige said.

"They very much are." Aggie said. "There's not very many of them in this world, but there many where I'm from." Paige didn't say anything. "I can help you." Aggie said.

"How?" Paige asked.

"I'd be more than happy to take you in and train you." Aggie said. "If you want me to, of course."

"I don't really have anywhere else to go." Paige said.

"Come along then, dear." Aggie said.

Paige followed her. "If you're not from here." She started. "Then, where are you from?"

"I'm from a place called Halloweentown." Aggie explained. "Where the residents are all these creatures that mortals dress up as every year on Halloween."

"So, they're all real?" Paige asked.

"Yes." Aggie said. "Do you mind if I ask how old you are?"

"Twelve." Paige answered. "Why?"

"Well, a witch's training is supposed to be completed by their thirteenth year." Aggie replied.

"Well, I've never had any training." Paige said. "I didn't even know I was a witch until you told me."

"That's alright, dear." Aggie said.

They came to a bus stop sign. Soon, a bright orange bus approached and the two boarded it.

"You should hold on to something." Aggie said.

"Why?" Paige asked.

Before she got an answer, the bus lifted into the air and took off. Paige quickly grabbed onto something. She thought she would scream, but nothing came out. Green smoke surrounded them outside the bus.

When the bus landed, Paige followed Aggie off. Paige looked around in awe at everything. She couldn't believe that all this existed.

Just then, a man approached them. "Well hello there, Aggie." He greeted.

"Hello Kalabar." Aggie said.

"Who's this?" Kalabar asked, looking at Paige.

"This is Paige." Aggie replied. "Paige, this is the mayor, Kalabar."

"Why'd you bring her here?" Kalabar asked.

"She's an untrained witch I found in an alley while I was visiting my daughter and grandchildren." Aggie explained. "Her mother kicked her out of her house because of her powers. They're out of control and I figured I could help her."

"Well, it's lovely to meet you, Paige." Kalabar said, tipping his hat.

"It's nice to meet you too, sir." Paige said.

There was something familiar about him, but she couldn't figure it out.

"I'll see you two around, then." Kalabar said before walking.

"Come on." Aggie said. "We can take a taxi to my house."

Paige followed behind her. They walked up to a taxicab that had a skeleton driving it.

"Hi Benny." Aggie said.

"Ms. Cromwell." Benny greeted. "Who's the girl?"

"This is Paige." Aggie said. "Could we get a lift up to my home?"

"Sure." Benny said. "Hop in." The two got in the cab.

A little bit later, they were in Aggie's home.

"I wish I knew if either of my parents were witches." Paige said.

"Well, by how you told me your mother treated you." Aggie started. "I'm guessing your father's a warlock."

"I don't know anything about my father." Paige said. "He left when I was really young. I don't remember anything about him." Aggie nodded. "Why is it daytime here and nighttime in the other world?" Paige asked.

"Time works differently between Halloweentown and the mortal world." Aggie explained. "Don't worry, dear. I know it's a lot to take in, but you'll get used to everything soon enough." Paige nodded.