Chapter 2

A couple weeks had gone by. Paige was getting used to Halloweentown.

"Mrs Cromwell?" Paige started as they eat breakfast.

"Yes dear?" Aggie asked.

"Would it be alright if I looked around the town?" Paige asked.

"I don't see why not." Aggie said. "And please, call me Aggie."

"Oh, I'm sorry." Paige said. "I should have asked if you wanted to come with me."

"That's alright, dear." Aggie said. "I have some things of my own I need to do. Like enrolling you at the school."

"Is school here different than school in the mortal world?" Paige asked.

"Not really. It's just like school in the mortal world." Aggie said. "The history may be a bit different. It'll be about Halloweentown's history, not the mortal world."

"I suppose I'll need some money to buy new clothes and school supplies." Paige said. "If that's okay."

"Oh, of course." Aggie said, handing her some money. "Buy whatever you like."

"Thank you." Paige said. She headed outside and saw a taxicab waiting by the gate. "How did he know I needed a cab?" She asked.

"Because he's Benny." Aggie said. "He always seems to know when he's needed. Enjoy exploring the town."

Paige went down the walkway and got in the cab.

"Hello Waverly." Benny greeted.

"Hi Benny." Paige said.

"Where to?" Benny asked.

"Just anywhere in town." Paige replied.

As he drove into town, Benny told Paige his jokes and Paige politely laughed at each one even though they were all cheesy.

Paige saw a bunch of shops. "You can stop here." She said.

Benny stopped the taxi. "Just give me a holler when you need me again." He said.

"Thanks Benny." Paige said.

Paige looked around at all the shops. She browsed through each one, seeing if there was anything she needed. She bought some new clothes and new school supplies. She looked over at a hair salon. Since she was new to this town, maybe it was time for a change. Paige walked into the salon.

A little bit later, Paige came out of the salon with a mix of purple, blue, and pink hilights in her hair. As she stood there, someone approached her.

"Hello." The person greeted.

Paige looked up to see the mayor.

"Oh. Hello Mr. Mayor." She greeted back.

"Paige right?" Kalabar said. "The girl from the mortal world that Aggie kindly took in to train."

"Yes." Paige answered.

"And what are you doing out on the town on this fine day?" Kalabar asked.

"Just getting a few things." Paige replied.

"Is Aggie around here with you?" Kalabar asked.

"No. She's back at her house." Paige explained. "She said she was going to enroll me at school."

"That's great." Kalabar said. "Well, I was going to grab some lunch. Would you care to join me? My treat."

"Why not." Paige said.

"Come along." Kalabar said. "I'll show you the best diner in town."

Paige followed behind Kalabar. Despite going along with him, part of her was feeling weird about it. She got that familiar feeling that she had the first time she met him. She couldn't understand why. They walked into a diner and sat at a table.

"Order whatever you like." Kalabar said. Paige nodded.

"So, how are you liking Halloweentown so far?" Kalabar asked as they ate.

"It looks amazing." Paige replied. "Although, I admit it's a lot to take in. I never thought any of these people existed."

"Yeah, it can be overwhelming for newcomers who aren't used to our world." Kalabar said. "Where did you live in the mortal world?"

"I don't think you would get what I'm talking about." Paige said.

"Try me." Kalabar said.

"You know about the mortal world?" Paige asked.

"I visit the mortal world from time to time." Kalabar replied.

"I was from Oregon." Paige answered.

"What about your parents?" Kalabar asked. "Won't they be worried?"

"I doubt it." Paige said. "My Mom didn't like all the weird stuff that happened around me, so she kicked me out. I was on the streets tonight when Aggie found me."

"What about your father?" Kalabar asked.

"I don't know much about my father." Paige explained. "He left when I was young and my Mom never talked about him."

"I'm sorry, Waverly." Kalabar said. "Doesn't seem like you've had a good life so far."

Paige just shrugged. "Why the interest in me?" She asked.

"Well, I am the mayor." Kalabar said. "It's my job to know everyone in town, including newcomers."

"Oh." Paige said. She was getting a bad feeling about this. "Could I ask?" She started. "Actually, never mind."

"You want to know what kind of creature I am." Kalabar said.

Paige nodded. "I mean you look normal like Aggie and myself." She started, but then backtracked. "Not that everyone else here doesn't look normal."

Kalabar chuckled. "It's okay, Paige. It's understandable that you're curious about Halloweentown." He said. "I'm a warlock, a male witch."

With a snap of his fingers, Kalabar made the light above them go out and turn back on.

"Cool." Paige replied. "Well thank you for the meal, but I should get back to Aggie's house."

"I'll call for Benny." Kalabar said as they walked outside. "It was a pleasure talking to you, Paige."

"You too, sir." Paige said, getting into the taxi.