Chapter 6- From Summer to Snow in 30 Seconds Flat

And time for me, light for you
But I've opened up my eyes
I see differently this time
- Time For Me, Light For You • The Lanthums

•  -  -  •

𝚆𝙸𝚃𝙷𝙸𝙽 a few days, the rain had cleared up and the Pevensie children were finally given the chance to spend their time outside. The grounds belonging to the Professor were extensive and perfect for the siblings to have fun in. James couldn't have been more excited. To him, the outdoors was almost another home- it was where he belonged. However, because he hadn't experience it in quite a while, he was missing it more than usual. Although, he had realised that, technically, his last outdoor trip was that night where he visited Narnia.

James' adventure seemed like a dream falling to the back of his mind, nagging at him, dragging him back. Though, the blonde knew better than to listen to his mind. After all, he was clever enough to know right and wrong from reality.

On that warm Wednesday morning, after breakfast, James and the other Pevensie's had been encouraged into the gardens. Of course, this was no problem for most of the siblings. This was because Peter thrived outdoors, just like his elder sibling, and James had promised Lucy he would teach her to climb a tree, so they were both happy enough to comply. It was Edmund and Susan who caused the problems. She was a bookworm, and he was lazy. However, they would be forced to enjoy themselves just for the sake of it.

Due to the rain, the grass was soft and mud stuck to the soles of James' supple leather shoes. When he was outside, he surveyed the array of trees quickly before making his decision.

It would have to be a good tree: a strong one. Although, the branches weren't to be too far apart. This was because James was supposed to be teaching Lucy to climb, and she had never done anything of the sort.

He didn't want to risk her safety.

It took the blonde a few moment, but then it came into view. There it stood, in the middle of the back garden. A tall oak with heavy branches and a thick trunk. That was it. That was the tree.

When his siblings joined him, not more than five minutes later, Peter began to set up a cricket game. James quickly dismissed himself from it, so the game would be between Susan, Edmund and the second blonde brother. It was supposed to be fun, however, that was debatable. Susan was disinterested the entire time, though she tried, as sport was far from her favourite thing: the girl was only there because they needed a third player. Usually, Edmund was good at the game, but he kept dosing into some sort of daydream.

There was something wrong with him. There had been something wrong since the night they'd been to Narnia.

What had Edmund seen there? What had he done?

Whilst this happened, James began to show his little sister how to climb. Despite being small and thin-limbed, much like her brother in the skinny sense, Lucy wasn't so bad at it. In fact, she was a very strong climber. When she'd grown in confidence through her clambering enabling her to scale the rest of the trunk by herself. After that, James grabbed himself a book, and followed his sisters steps until he found a sturdy branch which took his fancy. He wrapped his spindly legs sound it, hanging upside down, reading the pages as he did so. Gone With The Wind was interesting, especially as it was foreign literature to him.

Maybe he shouldn't have watched the game. James was sure he'd be content reading as he was certain his siblings would end up in a fight. They always did.

Since James hadn't joined his younger siblings in playing cricket, they'd been forced to change positions. Edmund was no longer the bowler, but a batsman (despite his protests) and placed Peter as the bowler rather than the umpire. This placed Susan in the letters usual place as she was the substitute. Though, but watching the game, James was able to tell that the girl had little to no idea how to play the game. After all, the eldest Pevensie was the best cricketer of them all- even if he barely understood the rules.