1. His Promises

Callahan was now again screaming at me with wide bloodshot eyes, pointing his finger at me as if I was the one who spilled the beer, blaming me for what he did. "Stupid! You spilled the beer! Now, I have to buy again! Tsk!" he said in an angry tone, slamming the door close, leaving me alone again in the apartment. I bit my lower lip as I stare at the bruises on my elbow and hands. Some parts of my body's swollen too. I slightly trace the redness of the bruise as I hissed in pain and sat on the chair in front of the dining table. These past few days I am feel nausea and dizzy, craving for something too.

I purse my lip and stroll to the kitchen, looking for something to eat, suddenly feel the rumbling of my stomach. Pouting as I wonder my eyes and only saw only a few cups noodles and coffee. I turn around and walk towards our room and straight to my drawer. My eyes water when I saw that there's no cash left on my wallet. I sat on the bed and palmed my hair as I frustratedly sigh. I'm sure that Callahan used the money again that I was saving up for my pregnancy check-ups, I bite my lower lip as I thought of asking help from my parents but then started when I disobeyed their rules and choose to be with Callahan, my father disowned me and my stepmother was a bitch and she's sure that her brother would just scold her and told her she's stupid for disobeying their father.

"Nothing's here, I'm hopeless," I whispered to myself and sigh heavily, I'm sure that he won't be back until later and when he's home again, he would just scream at me and blame me like I made his life miserable.

We've been together for almost two years and since I announced to him I am pregnant with our child, holding a pregnancy on my hand with tears on my eyes and smile on my lips vanished when he slaps me in the face, I felt my whole stopped as my face moves sideways after his slap, a stinging and lingering pain on my cheeks— the memories was still clear in my head since then he became different and he instantly changed, getting close to him means hell and I would rather step back to protect my child— his child. I close my eyes and sigh, staring at the phone on the above the drawer and bite my lower lip.

I need to get out of here because if I don't, every day will be as it is and it will be more dangerous for me and my child. I grab my bag and then put pieces for clothes inside, including the important documents and my wallet that not even a penny left inside, I groaned as I can feel the beating of the nerves of my swollen legs but I still walk even the pain was not that bearable. I thought of this as my karma because of disobeying my father, but everything is late now for regrets.

After packing my things, I hid the bag under the bed and acted that I was not planning an escape to this hell. I may be stupid, but I would never accept it in myself if something will happen to my child inside my womb. I sigh heavily and then walk towards the kitchen to boil water for the cup of noodles; I need to eat something and not starve myself even if I don't like the smell of the cup of noodles. Leaning on the sink as I wait for the water to boil.

After the water boils, I opened the cup of noodles and pour the seasoning of the cup that was included in the packaging and then pour an amount of water before covering the cup of noodles. I sat on the chair on the table and heard the phone beep, I then saw the name of my step-mother appeared on the lock screen, my brows furrowed and read her text message, it's a rear occasion that they will text me it's they need something or I did something wrong. 

I rolled my eyes and sigh heavily as I swipe the message to read the context of her message. My eyes widen when I read her message. Reading it out loud so I could process what was happening. "Help us! Some men have taken your father! Please!" her urgency sounds serious, what did father do? Last time I checked, they have the amount of luxury and now he's being held by some men? I bite my lower lip and stare at my phone for a couple seconds and then glance at my cup of noodles, feeling the warmth of the cup in my hand as I sat there unmoving.

What happened? I need to know, he's my father after all and I can remember the day I went and rebel against him, he's with our step mother standing beside him, a year after my mother died he married again and I knew instantly that I have no place there and I don't want to force myself because Maureen is rude when my father is not around, she's like a snake who peels off when my father is not around and she's like a cat when he's around, all smiling and clingy to him and my brother was different since he met her wife Angel and moved out together from home so I was left alone and then there came Callahan who became my comfort and knight in shining armour who promised me the world but I was too naïve to believe that and stupid to think that he would be happy to hear that we are about to have our child but I was wrong.

I wipe the tears as they fell off my eyes, sighing heavily as I look up into the ceiling to stop myself from crying. After calming myself, I stare at the cup of noodles and finished eating before dealing with what was happening. For once, I want to be selfish and prioritize my child. I caress my belly and smile before finishing the last bit of noodles and slurp the rest on the cup before putting it in the sink. I played with my lips before grabbing the phone and reading the message again of my stepmother and then glance at the window.

"He'll be home late again," I whispered and then walk to our room again and then to the storage room where the cleaning materials are place, I grab the broom and then the dustpan, my feet are aching but I need to clean the mess, with my other hand on my belly I walk back to the sala and grab the garbage can, slowly picking the cans of beer on the floor, sweeping of the broken glasses and mop the floor. I sighed heavily when, after a few minutes of moving around, cleaning the mess, I finally finished it. I close the ends of the garbage bag before grabbing it towards the back door.

Sighing heavily, walking back to the apartment I saw Callahan with a woman on his shoulder, the girl look at me with curiosity in her eyes. "Who's she?" the woman asked Callahan. That makes him glance at me before he let out of a scoff before talking. "My housekeeper, don't mind her, let's go," Callahan said before guiding the woman towards the room. Biting my lips as I contain the sob on my mouth and walk towards the couch covering my lips.

 I can hear the giggles of the woman in our room and laugh of Callahan. I close my eyes and wipe off the tears on my face before walking outside, grabbing my coat and wearing it to cover myself from the coldness of the weather.