Chapter One: When Life Was Normal

"Tokyo Gakugei University.. has a kendo club?"

I speak as if the words on the page before me are blasphemous, but it seems I'm not mistaken. I didn't think they'd have anything I'm interested in, I guess I was wrong. Then again, I've never heard about them. It's probably just a bunch of guys swinging sticks around and goofing off.

My name is Kyoko Tsukino, and I'm a first year student at Tokyo Gakugei University. I moved here just this month, my parents thought it would be a good idea to see new places outside of our little town of Yokohama.

Though when I suggested Tokyo, their faces paled as if they had just seen a ghost. Apparently this city has seen an increase in gang activity as of late, but to be honest I wasn't really paying attention when they were talking about it so I don't know any more than that.

Regardless, they helped me find a place in a cheap part of town not to far away from the school. About a ten minute walk at most. I let out a sigh as I review my class schedule, I'm arriving in the middle of the term and didn't get to attend any kind of orientation.

I'm just glad they added the kendo club to the list, I guess I did go on a lot about sword fighting when I was finalizing my schedule.

"Miss?"

I look up to see a boy with black ruffled hair and hanafuda earrings, a kind smile on his face. He wears some kind of black uniform under a black and green checkered haori as well. "You look a bit lost, are you the new transfer student?"

"Is it that obvious?" I ask with a nervous laugh. "I assume I stick out a bit then."

"Just a little. Usually we don't see new people in the middle of the year, so even if you knew where you were going you'd stick out a little bit. My name is Tanjiro Kamado by the way!"

"Ah, Kyoko Tsukino. It's a pleasure to meet you, Kamado-san."

Tanjiro smiles again as we shake hands, his feeling quite calloused for someone our age. "Please, call me Tanjiro. Mind if I look at your schedule? I could guide you if you'd like, I'm a first year too so we might have classes together!"

"Oh, sure thing!" I reply, handing him my paper.

He looks it over for a second, and after a few moments his eyes light up and his smile grows wider. "You signed up for kendo? I'm in that club too! And we share a few classes together, including our first one."

"Ew, calculus," I think to myself, scrunching up my face a little. Tanjiro laughs and nods in agreement, handing me back my schedule. "We've got calculus, biology and chemistry together. I think you have Inoske in Kinesiology, and Shinobu in Nutrition. I can introduce you to them later, they're my clubmates."

We continue chatting for a while, the boy pointing out important buildings and such as we walk towards our first class. "Thankfully college doesn't usually have set seats huh?" he asks as we enter the lecture hall.

An old man looks up from his desk, we just so happen to be the first ones in the room. "Ah, Miss Tsukino," he says, setting his reading glasses aside and grabbing a small stack of papers. "I've got your syllabus right here, seems you've already made a friend."

"Ah yes, sensei.." I blank on his name and frantically pull my schedule from my pocket, but he merely shakes his head before handing the papers to me.

"Tanaka-sensei, young lady," he says with narrowed eyes. "You'd best remember your professor's names, you may be new but we won't be going easy on you. Kamado-san here will get you caught up to with what you need to know, I will not be slowing down for your sake."

"U-Understood sir!" I quickly bow along with Tanjiro, and he nods before heading back to his desk. The boy gives me a piteous smile before taking the lead, pulling out a chair for me with a smile. A couple other students start to file in as I take a seat, nodding my thanks to Tanjiro as he pushes my seat in.

"TANJIRO-SAAAAN!"

Both of us turn to see a blonde boy burst into the room, waving frantically before hurrying over to our seats. He's wearing a similar uniform to Tanjiro's, though his is a dark brown color, over which is a gold and orange haori with white triangles printed on it.

I'm starting to see a fashion trend here, I think to myself as he gently tugs on Tanjiro's sleeve. "You saved me a seat didn't you?"

Tanjiro gives him a kind smile before gesturing to the other seat beside him. "Of course, Zenitsu! Remember to save one for Inosuke."

"Yeah, I'll do that- who's this?" The blonde looks over at me with a confused expression, and I give a slight wave in return.

"Oh right! I'll make introductions," Tanjiro says happily, gesturing over to me. "This is Kyoko Tsukino, she's new and is also going to be in kendo club with us! Kyoko, this is Zenitsu Agatsuma, a good friend of mine and fellow clubmate."

"Ah, you're really pretty Tsukino-san!" Zenitsu replies. "But why would someone like you want to do kendo..?"

"Zenitsu, that's rude! Plus, saying that is tantamount to claiming Shinobu-san and Mitsuri-san are ugly."

"OH NO!!! Shinobu-san didn't hear me did she? I'M GOING TO DIE, TANJIROOOO-SAAAAN!"

Welcome everyone to 'Clash of Swords'! This is my first ever Demon Slayer inspired story, and the first one I've written that is both a college au and a mafia au. Of course the story is set in the modern era, and does NOT follow the original plot of Demon Slayer. There are many scenarios that have been adapted to modern times, so you may see some familiar places and situations if you've watched the anime or read the manga.

I can't wait to show you guys what I have planned!

Kyoko Tsukino- Breathing Style: ???

Our main protagonist and aspiring swordsman! Her parents are lawyers so they make a lot of money, and so they were able to afford her college tuition with ease! No student loans for this woman!

Daily Quote: "Set your heart ablaze, go beyond your limits!" -Kyoujuro Rengoku

~Author-chan