Chapter Eight: Smoke and Mirrors

Tanjiro's POV-

I stayed with Kyoko in the infirmary that night, figuring she wouldn't want to be alone after everything that happened. Plus, that way Shinobu and Kanao could get some sleep for a bit, since they've taken it upon themselves to look after her while she recovers.

I practiced my breathing concentration techniques as she drifted off to sleep, exhausted from all the information that was thrown at her. The night was quiet and tranquil, like nothing ever happened.

As if she was still so detached from our world.

She reminds me so much of my mother, in many ways, I think to myself as I close my eyes. Maybe that's why I feel this urge to protect her, despite her being around my age to begin with. Even though she never gave me an answer, I know she will eventually come around. Nezuko is so incredibly kind, and if Rengoku can accept her then so can she.

There are some things I've noticed as we spent more time together. She always made sure everyone had something to eat, and would offer her own food should someone not have anything. She'd go out of her way to make sure we were eating properly, even calling us up before school asking if anyone needed a lunch box.

Eventually she stopped calling, and just brought some for our group every day.

Her interactions with Rengoku was always the same too, which got them a bit of teasing from Shinobu and Uzui. When they had the time they'd share a box of bento, though many were put to the side for Rengoku to eat for himself. I'd see them laughing together like children, and his eyes would light up whenever she shouted 'umai' like he does.

I can't help but smile when I see how happy they are. Honestly, they'd make such good friends if they hung out more. But when I asked, Kyoko just said that they only get to speak to each other during those little meal breaks.

She was kept busy with school work and during practice he was always off training some other students, if he was there at all. She didn't want to ask him anything since she wasn't sure if she'd be pushing some kind of boundary with him. "Since he's so outgoing," she had said, "I figured he'd just ask me to hang out whenever he wants to. I respect him too much to push him like that."

Her fighting had also gotten quite better, and it was clear that she was very skilled at defensive techniques. Whether it was dodging, parrying or taking hits, she did so much better the rest of us first years. When we spar, I only manage to land a couple hits, and she ends up parrying mine enough that her hits pass mine by a sizeable margin.

Our spars aren't that quick, however. She isn't very fast, so it's clear she's better at long, drawn out battles. She tends to go on the defensive more often than not, confident that she can take the hits that are thrown her way.

I feel like that's going to change though, now that she knows about our world.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!"

I jump from the shrill scream that echoes through the room, my eyes darting to Kyoko who's flat on her back in the bed. Another scream spills from her lips as her back arches, her hands gripping the sheets while her knuckles turn white. Her eyes are shut tight, and I rush over to her side as she thrashes about in her sleep.

"Kyoko-san!" I cry, grabbing onto her and shaking her a little bit. "Kyoko-san, wake up! It's me, Tanjiro! Come on, wake up!"

After a few more shakes her eyes pop open, amber orbs scanning around the room frantically as her body sags into the mattress. "Kyoko-san, hey.." I say a bit calmer now, her chest heaving with frantic breaths. Her eyes dart to me as she sits up with a jolt, staring into mine in disbelief while a tear spills over and down her cheek.