Chapter Nine: It Runs In The Family

I did manage to get a few hours of sleep, and the guys had cleaned up the rest of the apartment while I was out. They didn't go through my drawers or anything like the gentleman they are, but I felt bad that I didn't exactly help much.

Thankfully they took my offer to make them dinner as a way of paying them back, and after giving them the go ahead the boys finally sat down to relax. Granted, the furniture was terribly torn up and all, but they made themselves comfortable. Giyu decided to take a shower while he waited which was fine by me, I had plenty of towels and just took out some of my products for him to use.

"Are you sure I can use this?" He asked as I handed him my particularly expensive shampoo.

"Of course! I don't mind at all."

"If you say so.. thanks again."

Apparently he had been working early in the morning before dawn, so he hadn't had the time to really sit down since then. He had a mission to go on shortly after the incident, so he didn't get back until just before I woke up.

Also, I made sure to check my eyes in the mirror when I woke up, and nothing changed. The reflection still showed those same silver eyes, though my dark circles were already a little less apparent.

I brought this up with Rengoku, and he stared at my reflection for a good minute before shaking his head. "But I did say I'd help you investigate it," he said. "I'll ask Ubuyashiki and see if he knows anything. Shinobu might know something too, or at least have some idea."

I feel my phone ringing in my back pocket, freezing a bit as I recognize the ringtone. Crap, they're calling already? I think to myself as I put the rice in the steamer, taking my phone out and checking the caller ID before answering. "Hey, Mom."

"Kyoko Tsukino, why didn't you call us the SECOND your apartment got broken into? We had to hear about it on the news, I'd at least thought you'd let us know you were okay!!"

I wince a bit at her tone, hoping the guys can't hear her while checking to make sure she isn't on speaker. "I'm sorry Mom, a lot has happened since then-"

"That doesn't matter! We've been worried sick about you, your father was going off about demons and thought you might have been turned into one of them. I know you don't believe in that stuff, but you know how he is."

"Actually, can I speak to Dad?" I ask, and my mother sighs on the other end. "There's something I want to talk to him about."

I hear a bit of shuffling on the other end, before my father's gruff voice comes out of the speakers. "Hello, Kyoko."

"Hey, Dad.. I wanted to apologize," I start, letting out my own sigh. "You were right. You were right and I didn't listen, and because of that I almost got killed. Seeing how the police didn't believe me.. well, I suppose I realized how heartbreaking it is from the other side."

There's a few moments of silence before he responds. "It's alright, Kyoko." His tone is a bit softer, and I could practically hear the small smile he gets every so often. "I don't blame you. I just wish you didn't have to realize it this way. And don't worry about the apartment, we can get you a new place to stay in a day or two."

"Actually, about that..."

I proceed to tell him about the demon slayers, while keeping some information to myself since I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to say, though I did tell him about what Giyu found. My father stays quiet throughout my explanation, taking in my words as they slip from my tongue.

"Well, I'm happy to hear that Ubuyashiki-san is doing alright. I'll let your mother know about your friend Shinobu then, you know how she tends to worry. And make sure you send us the address so we can still send you things too."

I open my mouth to assure him that yes, I'll make sure to send everything over, when his first statement registers in my head. "Wait, you know Sensei?" I ask, complete bafflement in my voice.

"Where do you think I learned my swordsmanship? I used to be a demon slayer too back in my day, but then your mother got pregnant with you and.. well, I wanted to see my little girl grow up."

My dad.. was a demon slayer? 

"Kyoko-san, where do you want your sword holder?" Rengoku pops up out of the corner of my eye, causing me to squeak in surprise. "Oh, sorry about that! Didn't realize you were on the phone!"

"Kyoko, who is that?"

I wince as my father's voice gets a little darker. "That's just one of my friends, he's helping me pack my things to move into the mansion."

"That Giyu boy?"

"No, his name is Rengoku. He's one of the hashira I told you about."

".. I would like to speak to this boy. Please put him on the phone."

"Dad, I don't think that's necess-"

"I just want to have a chat, that's all."

I let out a sigh, and Rengoku raises a brow in my direction. "He wants to talk to you," I say, mouthing 'sorry' to him as he nods and takes the phone. I focus myself on finishing up dinner while they're chatting, hearing Rengoku hum as if agreeing with everything my dad is saying.

"Hello, Mister Tsukino!"

"Yes, that would be my father."

"I see! Were you a hashira as well?"

"I understand."

"She should be getting her uniform and sword soon."

"I'm sure Shinobu wouldn't mind!"

"If I'm not on a mission by then, I'd love to!"

"Great! I'll hand you back over then- Oh, alright then. I'll let her know."

Rengoku smiles before passing the phone back to me, and I see that my father has hung up. "What was that about?" I ask while setting out some nori.

"He said he had to head off to work, so he can't stay and chat. Also, he asked a lot of questions!"

I sigh in understanding. "Yeah, sorry about that. He can be a bit overprotective sometimes, not like Mom but it can be quite embarrassing."

"No worries! It's nice to see how much he cares for you, Tsukino-san!"

"Please.. call me Kyoko."

Eheheheheheheheheheheheheheh I'm tired.

Daily Quote: "I knew they would stab me in the back... I'll just have to stab them in the back... I'll stab them in the butt... That's what I'll do..." - Markiplier

~Author-chan