2. Christian Pulisic

best friends

the blades of the grass tickled her back as she laid her head on his knee. his calloused hands were tousled in her flowing hair while her eyes fixed on the white clouds forming in the sky. his own eyes focusing on the girl in front of him, how the knot in his stomach, whether that be from guilt or love, formed.

after feeling the stare of someone, she tilted her head back to see the man she adored looking right back at her with his bottom lip between his teeth. she smiled at him with her slightly crooked teeth, the same ones which had made her very insecure over the years but with reassurance of him, she had learned to grow into.

he smiled back, not fully reaching his eyes but nonetheless, it was still a smile. her smile slightly faltered at the sight of his. she believed that by looking into someone's eyes could tell a million stories, and his story was one full of twist and turns that she was eager to find out about.

she sat up from her previous position and took his face in her hands. his eyes locked with her's and he didn't dare look anywhere else. they both searched into each other's eyes, trying to read the hidden thoughts behind them. her's showed concern and worry, while his showed nervousness and panic.

she pulled herself out of the trance he held on her and gripped onto his hands that rested on his lap. his glance travelled down to their interlocked fingers and back up to the stunning girl before him. a sigh left his lips as he knew the question that was going to be thrown his way.

'are you ok?'. her celestial voice reached out to him. he knew that the next words he would say would be lies so instead he went for a soft, reassuring smile and a nod of the head. satisfied with his answer, she laid her head on one of his broad shoulders. he sighed once again before clearing his throat and asking the question that had been wandering his mind for days.

'will you go out with me?". her breath hitched in her throat at the question her best friend had asked her. it completely took her off guard and was now struggling for a response. the hopeful eyes of the american scanned the now panicked girl. his fear levels grew as she had yet to answer the question he had thrown her.

'yes'. his eyes snapped towards her to see her looking at him with flushed cheeks and a smile that seemed impossible to wipe off. his body, now fully relaxed, lunged forward to envelop her in a clinching hug. she gripped on just as tight as the american, fearing that if she let go he would disappear.

after pulling away from the man, she placed a kiss on the corner of his smirking mouth and skipped down the hill they had been placed. the pink tint and the smirk remained on his face until her body was no longer visible to him. his smile became no more and was replaced with a deep face of guilt.

he pulled as his phone, which had a slight crack in the corner, and dialled the number he had been waiting to dial all day. he placed the phone up to his ear while his other hand was drumming on his lap to somewhat calm him down.

'it's done'. a deep chuckle sounded on the other side of the phone before it was completely cut off. the american removed the phone from his ear and waited impatiently for the message to come through. he backed up into a tree and stared up at the clouds, which were no longer white but instead a dark grey, the girl had previously looked at when she was laying on his lap.

his phone buzzed and he immediately scrambled to see if the deed had been done. after confirmation, he immediately went to his bank account to see the money had been transferred to his account, the money he had one from a bet, a bet that he could take his best friend on a date. everything was a bet. there would be no attempt for him to make them anything more, they would forever only be best friends.