Chapter 5

*Gemma POV*

"Move!" I yell, shoving people out of the way, Bella on my tail. I can see Daniel, on the ground with a girl who closely resembles him sitting next to him, cradling his head.

"Daniel!" My voice shoots up an octave as I drop down beside him.

The girl next to him regards me. "Who are you?"

"No one you'd know," I say. The girl looks like she's a junior. There's no way she would know a nobody freshman.

"Try me," the girl challenged. Her dark eyes were daunting, challenging me to test her knowledge of the thousands of students that go to Britain High School.

I glanced at her, my focus on Daniel's pale face. It makes my face pale. "Gemma Caddel."

The girl's eyes widen. Her face looks like it's in shock. "You're..."

"I'm what?" I snap. I bite back an extra snappy remark and wait for her to respond.

"Nothing," the girl says. "I'm Rina. Daniel's sister."

"Okay," I say. "What do we do? You know, right?"

Rina shakes her head, blonde hair splashing against her cheek. "There's nothing we can do. We time it, we clear him of surroundings that could hurt him, and we wait for it to subside."

"You're sure?" I ask.

"I've been living with him since forever," Rina says. "Of course I'm sure." Even so, her tone says she's not even assured of that. "God, he hasn't had a seizure in years."

"Then how do you know?" My voice is critical and skeptical.

"Because I do!" Rina snaps. She takes a deep breath, and when she speaks again, her tone is calm and measured. "Sorry. I do because he used to have them all the time."

"Move along students!" Miss Carr says, flailing her arms. "Get to your classes!" She looks at Daniel, who is starting to convulse. Limbs fly everywhere as Rina struggles to hold him down.

"Help me!" she yells through gritted teeth at me. Frustration shows through her face plainly.

I glance at her and hold down his right arm and leg.

His limbs stop flying and his eyes open.

"Hey, Danny," Rina says. "Can you stand?"

Daniel shrugs.

"Gemma, help him to the nurse's office," Miss Carr says.

"What?" Rina's voice is sharp. "No. I'm his sister! Let me. Please."

"Rina, get to class," Miss Carr says.

"No, please-"
"Rina," Miss Carr's voice is stern. "Get to class. Now."

Rina looks reluctant, but she does as she's asked. She shoots me a look over her shoulder. "Take care of my brother, Gemma."

I nod. "I will."

Her eyes are trusting when she gives me a firm nod and runs toward her class.

"Thank you, Gemma," Miss Carr nods and heads back toward her classroom.

"Thanks Gemma," Daniel says. There's a peculiar look in his eyes as he studies me. As if he's looking for something.

"No problem," I say. "Can you stand?"

Daniel nods a little. "I think so."

He leans on my arm as he struggles to his feet, his legs skating a little.