Chapter 7

*Gemma POV*

"Are you going to be okay without Bella?" My mother asks.

I nod. "Yeah, I think I'll be okay." I pat my purse. "Plus I've got PTSD meds in here just in case."

"Did you take some?" Mom asks.

I sigh extravagantly. "Yes, mother. I took some."

"No overdose, right?" Mom asks.

"Mom, I only took two," I say. "I'm not that kind of kid. Stop worrying. I'll be fine."

"Daniel, if she has a flashback, start touching her," Mom says. "Get her back to reality with any means possible."

"But don't touch her in... places," Dad adds.

I glare at my father. "Did you really have to add that?"

"Yes," Dad says. He stares at Daniel and takes a step toward him. "You touch my daughter in the wrong way... I have a gun, a shovel, and an alibi."
Daniel gave a quick nod. "Yes sir. I'll be sure to treat her right."

"You had better," Dad threatened. "Or I will personally end you."

"Dad," I whined a little bit.

He turned to me, kissing me on the forehead. "I love you, Baby. Have fun."

I roll my eyes and kiss him back. "Love you."

"Are you ready?" Daniel asks, offering his hand for me.

"Of course," I blush a little and place my hand in his.

"Perfect," Daniel wraps his fingers around my hand and swings me into his arms. He touches the jade jewel around my neck. He brushes his finger off and pulls me close. "I want to know the story about that jewel later."

He releases me and I smile faintly.

"You guys are gross," Micah comments.

I roll my eyes. "We'll walk to the school," I say. "It's not that far."

"Be careful!" Mom yells after us.

"Don't do anything to my daughter!" Dad yells.

Daniel smiles at me. "Your family is so quirky. I love it."

I nod. "Me too,"

"So what's your story?" Daniels asks.

I cock my head. "What do you mean?"

"I want to know your story," Daniel says. He points to the chain around my neck. "Starting with that necklace."

I touch the necklace gently, wincing as tears sting my eyes. The image of my sister, blonde and blue eyed, burns in my mind. My vision blurs and I stop walking. "It... It was my sister's." I finger the necklace.

"Crystal's?" Daniel asks.

I nod reluctantly. "Yeah."
I know Daniel can tell I'm lying. But I'm not ready to tell him the truth. So my brain spins with possible scenarios. I take a deep breath.

"Yeah, it's Crystal's," I say. I don't meet his eyes. "Well it was. She gave it to me for my fourteenth birthday."

Daniel nods. "Nice. He takes my clammy hand and we keep walking. "Let me know when you're ready to tell me the truth." He smiles at me and brushes a tear out of my eye. "Take all the time you need. I'll be here. Okay?"

I smile at him, though my eyes are still blurry with tears. "Okay."

I gasp as Daniel yanks me back. A black van swerves away from me, spraying my dress with mud.