Chapter 12 - The Snows of Winter

Thank you for reading! I don't own any of Harry Potter! Please let me know if you enjoy! Updates every Saturday!
—————————————————————

By the time that Hogwarts' winter break started, Severus had reduced his hours at the castle to such an extent that he hardly noticed.

Fledgling was due to arrive frighteningly soon and as Mother Hen's energy waned, Father Raven's vigilance increased.

While the snow flurried down one morning during the week of Harriet's due date, she peacefully slept in her nest, lying with the warm covers enveloping her in the soothing cradle of a deep, dreamless sleep.

Harriet's cottage smelled of fresh amber and simmering cinnamon, a fragrance that Severus had devised to mask the scent of the potions, creams, and elixirs that he was busily brewing downstairs in the small kitchen, all designed to help the omega through her coming struggle and the weeks that followed.

Severus had made lotions for Harriet's belly, which she applied daily, most often with his eager help.

He also had a good stock of cream for her nipples.

Father Raven knew that Mother Hen's sensitive rosebuds would be seeing their fair share of use once fledgling came, although he had gladly complied with Harriet's request to prepare them.

Severus had spent many chilly evenings by the fire, nursing from Harriet as she soothingly raked her fingers through his black hair and stroked his scalp while her harmony ball hung between her breasts.

In addition to the skin care regimen that he had devised for his lover, Severus had prepared pain potions, tranquility candles, and a variety of other products that he knew she would appreciate and may very well assist her with the upcoming ordeal and her recovery.

Father Raven often spent hours brooding over matters.

Fledgling's birth was no exception.

Severus had gathered every supply that he had read about which could be of potential necessity or use when the time came.

He worriedly hovered over Harriet during their waking hours and he slept fitfully each night, rising every hour or so to peer cautiously at her and verify that she was still alright.

The nursery was ready.

The cottage was clean.

Severus had even taken the time to cook meals in advance and store them with a freezing charm for preservation so that his attention could be solely focused on Harriet and the baby after the birth.

As he finished the last batch of witch-hazel infused sanitary napkins that he had scheduled himself to make that morning, he placed them in a sterile jar and began to prepare breakfast while the mother of his child slept on, blissfully unaware, snuggled in her nest upstairs.

Harriet was just starting to stir when Severus came gliding into her room with a warm plate of food and a large cup of tea.

He placed the tray on the nightstand and sat down on the side of the bed as Harriet blinked up at him from where she lay.

"Good morning, Mother Hen." Severus purred as Harriet squirmed in the blankets.

Severus bent forward to let Harriet drape one arm around him and clutch his hand as he helped her to slowly sit up.

The soft groan that escaped Harriet's lips as she moved sent ripples of tense worry surging through Severus before she replied with a sigh, "Good morning, Father Raven."

Severus tried not to stare at the swells of Harriet's heaving breasts or the curve of her bulging belly as she eased herself back against the mound of pillows on the bed.