Chapter 5

Chapter 5

The library is my ideal place to escape to when I can’t or don’t want to deal with anyone. I read occasionally, but that’s not why I come here. I come here because no one else does. Occasionally I’ll catch glimpses of other students, likely in here for the same peace and quiet that I am. No one wants to rent a paper book anymore when we can just download them to practically every device we own.

I’m sure Ms. Bree is terribly disappointed that after such a good week, I’m ruining it by skipping her class on Friday. The back corner of the library, behind all the reference materials and caddy-corner to autobiographies is where I choose to spend my Friday morning instead of in history.

With my music turned as loud as my ear buds will allow, I close my eyes and let the world fall away. I bob my head along with Ed Sheeran while he sings about falling in love.

My eyes fling open and I flinch away in pain when someone pokes my arm. Pulling out an ear bud, I glare harshly at the assailant. Talon cringes apologetically when she realizes her offense.

“Sorry,” she whispers.

“No… it’s fine,” I tell her in attempt to not scare away the one person at this school I don’t mind. I’ve seen Talon a lot since Monday and regardless of the glare that seems permanently etched on my face these days, she always smiles and says hello. I have to give it to her; she’s been braver than any of the other girls who think they’re my friends this week.

We never actually speak, but I can’t help but like her. She’s different from any of the other girls I’ve known. Even the ones that come to this school on scholarship and don’t come from families with a ton of money often aim to climb higher on the social ladder. Talon seems refreshingly genuine, not one to care about any of that.

“Did I hurt you?” She asks skeptically. Her green eyes bore into mine as if she looks hard enough the answer will reveal itself to her.

“Of course not,” I assure her. Technically it’s truth, Talon didn’t hurt me. She just accidently poked a fresh bruise, still sensitive to touch. Unbidden memories of last night flit through my mind.

When I showed up at Garret’s place last night, a small party was in full swing. Music was playing loud enough to be heard from outside, but quiet enough that neighbors wouldn’t waist the time to call the cops. I pushed open the door and smoke bellowed out, a mixture of tobacco and pot filled my senses and caused the near immediate onset of a headache and nausea. My nerves shot to the moon when I realized that Garret wasn’t alone and that the night could easily become a repeat of New Year’s.

A handful of his favorite boys were scattered around the living room. Each one gave me their full attention, eyeing me with a sick sort of desire from the moment while I stood in the doorway. Even though I was sufficiently covered in skinny jeans and a long sleeve tee shirt, I still felt naked under their gazes. Violated. Immediately I wanted to kick myself for not bringing a baggy sweater to hide my body better.

“Hey baby-“ Garret slurred with a grin when he spotted me from his spot on the ratty old couch. I cringed at the term of endearment, “-you’re just in time.”  The fact that his words lacked any malicious intent was enough to have me questioning his state of mine.

I smiled and relaxed when I saw the state of his glass coffee table. White powder residue acted as evidence enough that he had done at least one line before my arrival. They were all high. This was actually something I would never complain about. Though I would never describe him as pleasant, Garret is much easier to handle when he’s high. Also, coke has a tendency to make Garret unable to… perform, which not only assures I’ll leave the party untouched, but that I’ll be in for a little humor at his embarrassment.