Chapter 26

"Tyler..." My voice trailed off. I didn't know what to say or even think. He didn't respond, he just twisted the key in the ignition and quickly pulled out of the spot. The lack of questions made me certain that he had read a similar message on his phone. While he drove, a little too fast for the roads, I found Talon's name in my phone and pressed dial.

"Are you calling Talon?" He asked tensely, his eyes still focused on the road.

"Yeah," I said listening impatiently as the line continued to ring in my ear. "She's not answering."

I waited a few more rings until the Talons recorded voice picked up and told me to leave a message, or better yet, just text. Sighing a hung up the phone without bothering to leave a message. Pulling my messages back up, I quickly typed out a text instead.

What's going on? R U ok?

I pressed send, bouncing my leg anxiously waiting for a reply.

"Here," Tyler said passing me his phone. "Try Bran. Whatever's going on, I think he knows."

"Okay, I'll try him now," I said taking Tyler's phone. I wasn't sure why he thought Brandon would know about whatever Talon and my dad and Julia were freaking over until I saw that Tyler had missed several calls from Brandon this evening as well. I pressed down on Brandon's name and waited for the phone to connect.

"What the fuck, Ty? I've been calling for an hour," Brandon said into the phone, picking up after only one ring. I let out a small sigh of relief that not only he had answered, but based on his state, he knew and could update us on what was happening.

"It's Evie," I said, ignoring the harsh greeting. "Ty is driving, so..."

"Right," he said. "Yeah, okay. Where are you guys?"

"We're on our way back," I said though I wasn't entirely sure where we were going."Is Talon okay?"

Brandon sighed into the phone instead of answering.

"Brandon," I snapped.

"She's, yeah... Tal is fine," he said finally.

"Oh thank God," I said, relieved. "She's safe?"

"Yeah," he agreed. "Talon is safe."

There was something off about his voice though. I didn't know what it was but it was all wrong. He was telling me she was okay, she was safe but he didn't sound nearly as relieved as he should have.

"What's going on?" I pressed, knowing there was more.

"Evie," he said in a way that made the pit in my stomach triple in size. "I need to talk to Tyler. Put him on the phone."

I looked at Tyler who was driving, his hands tight around the steering wheel, his whole body stiff. It bothered me that he didn't want to tell me. It made it seem like something was so wrong he didn't think I could handle it.

"Just tell me."

"Evie," he said again.

"It's Garret right?" I said, voicing what Tyler and I both assumed. Tyler glanced from the road to me, waiting for confirmation.

"Pass Tyler the phone."

I heaved a frustrated sigh and held out the phone for Tyler. "He needs to speak to you," I said not bothering to hide my irritation. Tyler took his phone from my hand and held it to his ear.

"Tal is good? She's safe?" he asked, needing to confirm for himself that his sister was okay. As he listened to whatever Brandon said next, his body visibly relaxed. "What's happening?" He asked, glancing at me from the corner of his eye.