Chapter 42 - Survival of the Fittest

*The next day*

Clara's POV

The next day, Luciano drove me to the airport to see me off for my flight to Tennessee before he heads back to work.

"Are you sure you don't want me to come along?" Luciano asked me once again.

"Don't worry, I'll be fine," I smiled to him to give him the assurance he needed.

"Alright, take care and call me once you're there," Luciano said and then he leant in for a kiss on my forehead before we bid farewell to each other.

*Tennessee*

"Oh... I miss you so much, baby!" My mother squealed and hugged me upon seeing me at her doorstep.

"I miss you so much too," I hugged her tightly as I said.

"Why didn't you give me a call that you're coming?" My mother asked.

"Just wanted to give you surprise," I leant in for a peck on her cheek.

"How's you and David?" I asked my mother about my stepfather while we made our way into the living hall.

"We're fine, David just went on a fishing trip with his friends, he won't be back until two days later," My mother said.

The truth is I haven't been really close with my stepfather. My father died when I was little, he was an awesome dad, no man loves me as much as he did until I met Luciano. Ever since my mother married my stepfather, we moved to Tennessee. However, I was enrolled at Stanford at that time too, so I really didn't get to interact much with my stepfather. He didn't really care about me, nor did he want to finance my tuition fees for the course I wanted to pursue and that's how I landed up in Marketing against my wish.

"Alright, I'm glad that you two are doing good," I said but I was more relieved to know that David isn't going to be around here.

"Mum, I need to tell you something, but promise me you won't freak out," I said.

"Yes, sure, what is it?" She asked.

I flashed her the engagement ring in my hand and said, "I'm getting married."

"Oh my god! I'm so happy for you baby!" She gasped in surprise, I could see the tears of joy welling up in her eyes.

I hugged her and patted her back, "Yup, now you don't have to worry about me anymore."

"Who is that lucky guy that you're getting married to? Is it Rico, that sweetheart of yours back in High School?" My mother asked.

I brooded at her response, "What would you guess Rico?"

"So that man isn't Rico?" My mum asked with a perplexed expression.

"No, I'm getting married to Luciano Carlos, the owner of Carlos Hotel," I explained.

"Woah... Isn't he a billionaire?" My mum gasped in surprise.

"Yes..." I said.

"Baby, why do I feel that you're not really excited about this marriage, are you okay?" My mum asked.

"Maybe it's just the pre-wedding jitters," I shrugged my shoulders.

"Well, as long as you're going with your heart and marrying the man you truly love, you should be happy," She said while grasping my hands.

I smiled back at her and then she said, "Anyways, I thought he was Rico because not long ago he came by for a visit to find you and I told him you're working at L.A. After so many years, can't believe he is still not over with you. He also helped to fix a lot of things in our house, he was such a sweetheart."