[ Chapter 10 ]

"So?" Mercedes spoke curiously, "How's it all going?"

About two weeks had passed since Colby and Rebecca made their agreement, and things were going way better than she expected.

"Honestly, really well." She replied, putting some dishes away.

"That's good." Mercedes responded, straightening out her apron before the two made their way out of the kitchen.

Rebecca just finished handing someone a breakfast muffin, before turning to grab Mercedes some menus when she heard someone speak up.

"Two coffees, please." Rebecca turned to see Colby leaning forward with both hands on the counter.

"Coming right up." Rebecca smiled, "Need an extra extra boost today?"

"No." He smirked, leaning forward slightly further, "I have this really demanding study partner, and I know she'll kill me if I have energy and she doesn't."

"Damn, that sounds rough." She poured his two coffees, "I suggest you drop her and find someone new."

"Nah, I think I'll keep her around." He chuckled, "I kinda like her company."

Two weeks was plenty of time for the two to get to know each other, especially since they had spent about two or more hours a day after class studying together.

She slid him the two coffees, and he pushed one right back to her. "I'm fine really, you don't have to keep wasting your money on me."

"It's not a waste." He picked up his cup, "It's going to good use. I need my English teacher to be awake for my lessons, you know."

She rolled her eyes while smiling, before reaching behind her and sliding a small brown take-out bag towards him, making her way around the counter. "It's the least I could do."

He opened it up, and the smell of a fresh-made cinnamon roll filled the air, "I don't know if it's what you'd prefer, but I figure they're pretty universally loved."

Colby smiled and pulled her in for a tight hug, "I think that's the nicest thing anyone has done for me in a long while."

"Shut the hell up, Lopez." Mercedes interjected as the two broke apart, "I tolerate you every day. That's gotta count for something."

He shook his head, before eating a bit of the cinnamon roll, taking the icing left on his finger and poking Rebecca on the nose with it. "Let's go, slowpoke."

Rebecca squinted her eyes at him, reaching up and wiping the glaze off of her nose. Licking it off of her finger absentmindedly as she grabbed her bag, and he felt his heart rate speed up a touch.

She slung her bag over her shoulder and playfully pushed him towards the door. "Come on then."

As they walked through the streets, Colby handed her the bag, "Want a bite?"

"No, you have it. You've given me enough." She gently pushed his hand back towards him.

He shrugged with a smile, "If you insist."

They walked past the bank, and Colby saw Rebecca's eyes light up, knowing it was the face she unintentionally made whenever she remembered an English fact. "T.S. Eliot, the poet, actually worked as a teacher, editor, and banker, while working on his poetry."

Colby nodded, impressed with the tidbits of knowledge she had, "Interesting."

"I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but I'll take that as a genuine comment." She beamed, and he laughed at her enthusiasm.

The two continued to chat back and forth as they reached the station and got on the subway.

They had gotten so caught up in their conversation that when the subway inevitably came to a quick stop, it completely caught them off guard. So much so, Rebecca stumbled towards the side, losing her footing. Out of reflex, she put her hand out to try and break her fall, but it just landed on Colby's chest. His free arm instinctively wrapped around her waist to prevent her from falling, as he pulled her close so she didn't bump into others.

When Rebecca opened her eyes, she realized she was leaning against him, and her eyes widened as she quickly backed away. "I'm so sorry."

She felt heat rise to her cheeks, chalking it up to just being embarrassed before he smiled. "Don't be."

Their day passed quickly, and before they knew it, they were back in the library studying together. After about five minutes, Colby found himself being interrupted by some strong slaps to his back.

"Hey, bro." Joseph interrupted their conversation with a grin.

Meanwhile, Jonathan watched Rebecca curiously, "Who's the chick?"

"This is Rebecca." Colby introduced her to the two.

She smiled politely, "Hi."

"Nice to meet you." Joseph responded before looking back at Colby. "You coming to the bar?"

"I'll pass. I'm actually trying to study." Colby gestured to the table filled with textbooks.

"C'mon man, studying?" Jonathan laughed, "Or trying to get in her pants?"

"Jon, knock it off." Joseph gently pushed him, annoyed. "He's already drunk. Ignore him."

After countless minutes of Jonathan trying to convince him to leave, while Joseph tried to pry Jonathan away, Colby had had enough.

"You know what." He stood up and looked at Rebecca, "Let's go to my place."

"See! Tryna get into her pants." Jonathan pointed to Rebecca.

Colby shoved their things into their bags quicker than Rebecca could comprehend, grabbing her hand and guiding her out of the school.

The entire journey to his apartment, when walking and riding the subway, Colby continued to apologize, hearing Rebecca's dismissal of his friend's nonsense but not letting it go.

They rode up the elevator, and Rebecca followed Colby to his room. He opened the door, letting her enter first, before shutting the door behind them. "Welcome to my home."

She walked in slowly, taking in his living space and the peaceful silence. She opened her mouth to speak but stopped as soon as she heard a different door creak.

The pitter-patter of little feet running, suddenly replaced the quiet, before a tiny voice filled the room. "Daddy!"