♟️Chess not Checkers♟

Marquis sat on the couch in his penthouse condo contemplating everything that was happening. Just when Desmond was going to let him take things over, Bishop threw a wrench in his plans. He knew he needed to make his next move his best move.

He took out his phone and scrolled through his contacts. He needed back up and there was one person who he knew was solid outside of his boys.

Marquis dialed the number and waited for the line to pick up.

"Hello there, Marquis," Mama answered.

"Hey baby, I hate to call you like this but I need your help." He informed her.

"What's wrong, Big Papa." She asked, worried.

"One of your girls is very important to one of my guys. Desmond and Jaden are havin some trouble in paradise." Marquis explained as best he could over the phone without explaining the extras.

"Marquis, you don't even have to ask. Jaden is family. Come and see me tomorrow, we'll get this shit right." She said into the phone.

"Thank you, Mama," Marquis said before hanging up.

Down the hall, Jace sat in his living room on his laptop typing away. He was making sure everything was ready. He audited through their multiple companies making sure certain protections were in order within the LLCs.

Jace knew there was no convincing Desmond of anything else, so he needed to be prepared for the worst. If things went bad and Desmond got caught up, things needed to still run smooth. Jace needed to be able to take care of everything.

All the accounts had to be in order, and he made sure there were liquid funds for bail and attorneys if needed.

Jace even set up an emergency account to keep Jaden secure. It would seem as if a family member left it to her after passing.

Desmond didn't like to think of the what if's but that was exactly what Jace did, and that's what kept things running smoothly this long.

Jaceon Reed King knew this was chess, not checkers.

Desmond laid in the bed next to Jaden who was finally sleeping soundly, but he couldn't bring himself to do the same.

His mind was going in too many directions at once. He didn't understand how he could fall so fast for someone. He'd never felt the feelings he did when he was with Jaden. He didn't want anything to come between them, and he was truly prepared to fight and even kill for her.

He thought about all the run-ins he'd had with rivals over the years. He'd been in the streets for so long, there were more than a few times he'd come close to losing his life. 

Desmond had been targeted countless times, but that was something that happened in the drug game. Things were different now. Not only did he have a woman to protect, but now he was being targeted, specifically because he was with her. He wasn't about to leave her alone over some ex niggas obsession.

A vibrating phone took Desmond from his thoughts, as he looked on the nightstand. He answered the call from Marquis, saying he was at the front door.

He climbed out of bed and pulled on a pair of joggers and some running shoes.

He opened the door, shirtless, and walked into the hallway. "Come in the gym wit me," he told Marquis, "What up, though?"

"I talked to Mama about our situation," he stated, "She wants to meet with me to get shit figured out."

Desmond put his key fob into the door to the fitness center, "That was good thinking. Let her know I appreciate her having our back." he unintentionally slammed the door shut behind them.

"Yeah, I know shit prolly different since we talked—"

Desmond cut Marquis off, "Nah, it's not. I l want you to do what you gotta do. Even more now." He stared directly into his friend's eyes, "Quis, I'm gon kill this nigga Bishop."

Marquis leaned closer to his friend who sat on the bench press, "Bruh, we have people to do that, you don't have to do shit yourself."

"Nah, I gotta do it. Jaden will never feel completely free of this nigga until he's dead. And I want to see the life leave that man's eyes myself." He began to lift. "Jaden ain't telling me everything, but the way she act when she talk about him. He hurt her bad Quis." He said, "And now I think it was his bitch ass who broke into her apartment. Playin in her dirty panties and shit. Fuckin weirdo." He huffed.

"Man, whatever that girl got between her legs... shit's stronger than heroin." Marquis chuckled.

Desmond mean-mugged his friend as the door to the fitness center beeped. They broke eye contact when Jace walked inside.

"What y'all niggas doin?" He smiled, tiredly.

"What you doin?" They said in unison.

"I heard yo heavy-handed ass slam the door." Jace stared at Marquis.

"That was him that time, fucker." Marquis chuckled pointing at Desmond.

"My bad bruh. I'm tryna burn off some steam here. I can't even think straight." Desmond explained.

I want blood.

•••••