chapter 11

Practice ended on a good note.

“Bye Akaashi, bye Boku!” Kageyama waved to Bokuto and Akaashi. He had a family matter, and couldn’t walk him with them.

It was just Akaashi and Bokuto now.

Bokuto turned to face Akaashi.

Akaashi turned to face back.

“Uhh, Akaashi forgive me if this is weird but..wanna sit down for a while and uh- get to know each other? I mean, you are going to be setting for me in the future, well most of the time. We should be great teammates and friends to uh, strengthen our bond!”

Akaashi nodded, following Bokuto to a bench. They sat down stiffly.
Then tension was extremely awkward, but thankfully Bokuto interrupted.

He cleared his throat.

“Akaashi?”

“Yes?”

“Why….did you cry when you saw me the first time?”

Akaashi paused. What was he supposed to say??

Akaashi didn’t know what to say— well, I mean he never knew what to say in front of Bokuto, but this was different.

What WAS he supposed to say?

‘yeah, you’re just like actually dead lol, I love you but you can’t talk. or move. oops!’

Nonono, obviously he couldn’t say that. He would be an idiot to even think about saying that. It would mess up whatever he had with Bokuto.

Actually...why DID Bokuto have to bring that up now? Why couldn’t he ask a normal teenage boy question. Like favourite ice cream flavour, favourite volleyball superstar. Hell, even a question as silly as what his favourite colour was would be a thousand times better.

Akaashi sighed painfully. Leaves fell to the ground as they sat on the bench, one pondering what to say and one waiting for the answer.

“I’m sorry if I made you uncomfortable Bokuto, I just-“

“...I just thought you were someone else.”