Chapter One

Siddharth slammed the door of their room and stormed off. Shehnaaz rushed after him, "Siddharth.. please--" 

He looked back, exasperated. "I'm getting late Shehnaaz. I'll call as soon as I check into my hotel." 

Shehnaaz nodded, half-heartedly. 

"I don't want to be a jerk to you, but you really need to understand that I do have a personal life. I'm allowed that much." Siddharth said coldly. 

She nodded again. "I know that."

Siddharth walked out of the apartment, still upset-- fuming at their last exchange. Shehnaaz sat on the couch, pressed the bridge of her nose and exhaled loudly as tears began to pool in her eyes. She hated it when a fight between them went unresolved. She hated it when he refused to understand her. She clenched her fists, causing her acrylic nails to dig deeply in the soft skin of her palms, deep enough to draw blood.

She knew that she was probably reacting more severely than needed, but he was supposed to understand her, empathize with her and not react even more unreasonably than her. 

She sniffed, hiding her face behind her palms. 

I'll apologize when he calls. 

She felt powerless in the situation, too tired to make an argument, she decided to do what he expected her to, apologize and get done with it.

She had always prioritized him over the world, even herself then what was the harm in doing it just one more time? 

She was busy with her thoughts, sobbing quietly against a cushion when Rita Maa saw her all alone in the hall. 

"Siddharth chala gaya?" She asked, sitting next to her. Shehnaaz's breath got stuck in her throat as she tried to wipe her tears as quickly as possible.

Rita Maa held her hand and brought it down to her lap. "Lad ke gaya na Siddharth tujhse?" 

Shehnaaz sniffed, trying to prevent another sob from erupting and shook her head. 

"Maa se bhi jhooth bolegi?" Rita Maa asked softly.

"Maa--" 

She cupped Shehnaaz's cheek and wiped her tears. "Bata kya hua?"

"Meri hi galati thi.. mene hi--"

"Judgement sunaane nahi bola hai Shehnaaz, baat kya hui hai, yeh bata?" Rita Maa asked firmly. Shehnaaz sighed. 

"Uske project mein ek nayi ladki hai-- producers se related hai, talented hai.. but-- Siddharth ke opposite cast hui-- sirf ek segment ke liye. Media ka poora focus uspe hai aaj-kal. She is giving interviews one after the other.. Siddharth ke saath clingy ho jaati hai jab dekho, interviews mein bahut ajeeb se tareeqey se react karti hai jab Siddharth se related koi sawaal poocha jaaye toh. Mujhe uski vibe nahi jach-ti Maa. I am probably overreacting, maybe koi baat nahi hai-- lekin mujhe woh nahi pasand Mumma." Shehnaaz explained. 

Rita Maa smiled. "So, you told Siddharth aur woh bahadak gaya?" 

Shehnaaz shook her head. "We've been talking about it for a while now, and Siddharth keeps telling me that I'm reading too much into the situation. I agree with him, maybe I am overreacting, and I want to stop giving it so much thought but my instincts are just too haywire right now. Aaj subaah-- he was in the bathroom when his phone started ringing. Usually usko koi issue nahi hota, phone utha lu agar mein toh-- but aaj pata nahi kya hua ussey-- meine phone uthaaya uska toh ek-dam se bhadak gaya. I was not snooping. I was not-- I don't doubt him." Shehnaaz started sobbing again. "I don't doubt him, Maa-- I trust him.