The Beginning

Akura

        “Today, you shall find the duelist with the power of the divine. You shall duel this creature and you must win. There is no other alternative. If you wish to make your dreams reality, then you must do as I say.” Said the Spirit of the Pendant. The being I found a year ago, after I found out about Duel Monsters. That was the day I found true power. A spirit whose power resides in the pendant, a cobalt piece attached to a chain link string choker. The cards I wield in my deck are unlike what most people are use to. The cards speak to me. The cards obey my commands. Well, they obey the Spirit’s command. Nonetheless, the creatures I summon are mine to wield. I have found many duelists who have tried to use their cards for pure purposes. In the end, they are weak. The shadows hide the true power. “Now, my host. Find this person and send them to my realm.” Murmured the spirit as his consciousness faded away.

        “Akura!” Came a loud voice from behind. “Akura, I need my homework!” I turned to see my best friend, Dagger, aka, Joseph. “Why haven’t you given me my biology homework yet! I gave it to you to hold on and all but now I need it back!” Classic Joseph, giving me his homework to hold and badgering me about it at the last minute. I fished my backpack and found it… torn apart. I sighed and gave it to him. His face fell as he saw that most of the page had minor scorch marks on it.

        “Dude! What happened to it!” He yelled, his hands dancing around in the air like he always does when he gets angry. “How many times have I told you not to duel when you have my homework!”

        “Well, maybe you should start being responsible and keep it yourself.” I retorted, starting to become angry. Joseph must have sensed my increasing anger, because he started to back off. Sighing, he thanked me and went off to his biology class.

        The rest of the day was a blur, the only thing interesting all day was the message that Spirit told me about the duelist I was to face later on. When the final bell sounded, I strolled to my locker and grabbed my duel disk and found a letter clipped to the draw card. “‘Meet me on the patio. I’m calling you out.’” There was no signature, but the handwriting was familiar. Saki, a friend’s ex.

       She always had a thing for me, until recently. I have yet to figure it out. If she is the one I have to duel, then this is going to be way to easy. Her deck had almost no good cards, mostly relying on her Lightsworns. Lightsworns are dangerous, but the fact that she swarmed her deck so quickly at the beginning of the game made it way to easy for her to deck out. I grabbed my jacket, and found one of my favorite and most ruthless decks. If she wants to duel; my Ancient Gear set will show her a mechanized melee.

Hannah

        The bell finally sounded. Time to get to Father, Hannah thought. She turned the corner and a tremendous roar shook the school. What was that! Hannah grabbed her backpack and ran full throttle towards the duel field. I hope that dad hasn’t come to claim the others. I have enough hardship fitting in without him. A draconic creature full of sharp metal plate bellowed a roaring challenge. She looked at the two duelists. Saki, a well known but rash duelist played the creature responsible for the roar. Since when did she get a Cyberdark Dragon!

        The guy she was dueling, his duel disk signified he still had a full gauge. Saki’s Life Points were down to only 1300! “Saki!” Hannah yelled, “What happened to your Lightsworns?” Saki’s reply sounded automatic, almost distant. “I no longer fight for the light.” She turned back to the guy she was dueling. “The darkness will consume you, Akura! Just as it did to me.” She drew her card. “This is where it ends, Spirit of the Cobalt. I activate the trap! Proof of the Powerlessness! This trap destroys all monsters you control that are level 5 or below!” The man, apparently named Akura… or Cobalt Spirit, smiled. “You foolish little girl! I chain with my trap! Call of the Haunted! Return what was once lost! I special summon Jinzo!”