Chapter 16: Love (Part One)

CHAPTER 16

LOVE

"I see you everywhere,

in the stars, in the river,

to me you're everything that exists,

the reality of everything."

Virginia Woolf

Night and Day

Grace grazed her fingers across the silky card inviting her to Leah's wedding. Had she been so inwardly focused that she didn't even know Leah was seeing someone, let alone getting married? She and her neighbor had delightful conversation the night they met, easy, fun, but at no point did Grace recall her even mentioning it. Since that night though, their relationship existed mostly in the form of long-distance waves, smiles across acres, and shouted hellos.

So....my neighbor is getting married tomorrow.

Leah?

Oh, Sebastian knew. Grace realized the entire town had probably been invited.

Are you going?

Against my will.

💀

Sebastian's response made her smile. Their relationship was slowly evolving from intensity to familiarity. Sebastian seemed to be evolving, too. Grace dared to believe his old wounds had begun the long and imperfect journey toward healing. In little moments like this, she was sure of it.

You're coming. Right?

Grace paused. The thought of attending someone's wedding here in this small little town, it made her feel uncomfortable, vulnerable even.

You're coming.

Meet us at Sam's at 4.

Fine.

Fine.

*****

Sebastian tossed his phone to his bed.

"She's coming." He couldn't resist obnoxiously raising his eyebrows suggestively at his best friend.

Sam looked like he might vomit and for a split second, Sebastian regretted his teasing. Sam shook his head and smiled, still looking queasy.

"She makes me nervous."

'Nooooo..... really?" Sebastian dryly joked. Resting his elbows on his knees, Sam buried his face in his hands. Sebastian smirked. He knew his best friend would rise to the occasion.

GRACE

The day of Leah's wedding, I very easily talked myself out of going at least five times. More difficult, was the task of talking myself back into going, and yet, there I stood in front of the mirror in my bedroom in a full-length blush-colored gown, a delicate spaghetti strap on one shoulder, the other shoulder bare, my leg peeking out of the slit up the side of my dress. I questioned a hundred times if it was too much, but it was all I had. I hoped the wedding invitation's request for formal attire was genuine. Delighted to finally be wearing a pair of heels in this town, I slipped on my favorite strappy heels, my wild pink hair, loosely braided and elegantly pulled back into a soft bun.