𝟔𝟏. ✭ 𝐓𝐎𝐑𝐄𝐘 ✭

I fucking hate flying. I hate things that are out of my control; like plummeting out of the sky to my demise. My arms cross over my chest as that visual plays throughout my head, much like it does every time I'm in an aircraft. Although, helicopters are worse, well, maybe not more so than a prop plane. There's nothing quite like being a fuckton of feet in the air. Putting your life in the hands of a single other person is nerve-wracking.

My gaze goes to Dani. She's been quiet for the entire first half of the plane ride. After her emotional departure from Brooks she'd sealed up all of her feelings. Now there was just a mask of determination. I can relate. It's one I've worn quite frequently over these last several years.

Speaking of Brooks, I think back to our exchange or lack thereof. After waking up on opposite sides of the woman in my line of vision it'd been a brief goodbye. He'd made breakfast. We'd eaten in silence. Dani cried. Then we were off. I wasn't ready to register our exchange in the kitchen, couldn't let myself process that. Now isn't the time.

Maybe later. Maybe someday in the distant future. Maybe never.

We're not guaranteed our time here on this Earth, after all.

The clouds outside of the window turn into a different image, playing the exact scenario I said I wouldn't conjure. His lips on mine. His hands in my air. Me slamming him up against the refrigerator.

Fuck. I can't let myself think about this shit.

I blink back to the present, slamming the window cover down as I do. I lean forward in my seat and swirl around the liquid in my tumbler glass. "You're quieter than usual." Dani's voice pulls my consciousness out of my skull.

"Don't like flying, you know that."

"Is that all?"

"Yup." I take a sip of my drink and go back to sitting straight up in my seat. "That's all." If she suspects anything else, which I'm sure she does, she doesn't press the matter.

"So, what happens after this?"

"Like I said, we go to the safe-house and wait for instruction. Then I bring you in for questioning."

"I'm not going to say anything against Brooks."

"That's probably for the best," I said, nodding my head in agreement. "I'm going to try and see if they'll work out a deal for him. I'm going to try, Dani." Her lips tremble slightly at my words, looking away from me as she wipes a few tears off her cheek. "Are you excited to see Wolf?" I try and change the subject.

"I'm excited about finally getting a chance to know my son." Her wet eyes find mine. "I never thought I was going to be able to. If not anything else at least I'll get him, the chance to be his mother, out of this." That stung. She has me too but, as per usual, that doesn't seem like it's enough.

"I think I'm going to try and sleep the rest of the flight. We've got a long few days ahead of us." I get up from my chair and head to the back room, not waiting for a response. I close the door behind me, kick off my shoes and then throw myself back on the bed knowing sleep won't find me.

✩✩✩

I pull the street bike expertly up to the side of the shoddy apartment building. Once we both hop off I roll it into the dilapidated looking shed that will house the expensive motorbike. This part of town gave Dani's apartment in Seattle a run for its' money for 'shittiest area to live in'.

I punch in the code next to the metal door that leads inside. Once that unlocks I punch in several more codes before we're inside. I take off my helmet, as does she, albeit with a shake of her hair afterward.