Part 8

Bucky stood with his sword outstretched, his pose firm. Dot had suggested they go to the drawing room, so she could paint Bucky, and he agreed. He saw Dot focusing on the canvas in front of her, her eyes darting between him and her painting. From the way she was working, Bucky thought it might turn out decent.

"Almost done, Jamie." Dot said with a smile.

Bucky subtly winced. He hated being called Jamie by her, but he would let it pass. His arm was starting to ache, and his stomach was starting to growl. He kinda wished you were there, to be honest. His blue eyes landed on Dot as she grinned.

"Done! Come take a look, Jamie!"

Bucky was relieved to finally bring his arm to his side, and he walked over to where Dot was. As soon as his eyes landed on the painting, he held back a grimace. It was awful. Like, a five-year-old could have done better than her. Pasting on a fake smile, Bucky applauded her.

"It looks wonderful. And I can see how much detail you put into my face." He said pointing to the area he assumed was the face.

"That's your arm, silly." Dot giggled.

Bucky nodded, trying to keep his eyebrows from raising any higher. "Of course it is! I was just messing around!"

"I was hoping we could put it the gallery room."

"Uh...yup, heh, excellent choice."

~~~~~

"Nat, tomorrow is the coronation, and I've decided I'm not going." You said with a sigh. "And don't even try to convince me to stay because it won't work."

"Well, when tomorrow rolls around, you might find yourself wanting to go. Just saying." Nat shrugged.

"I forgot to ask. How was your date with Bruce?"

"It was amazing, he's a really sweet guy, but..."

"But what?"

"He lives here, and I don't. I feel like it would be too difficult for us."

You grabbed Nat's shoulders and looked into her eyes. "Follow your heart, don't care about what others think, and if you want to stay here, I wouldn't hold anything against you."

"Really? What about the company?" Nat questioned.

"You could start one up here. You're smart enough, and you've got gut talent."

"Thank you, Y/n, it means a lot. And my first job will be to get you someone."

You laughed. "I wouldn't waste your time. I think a life of solitude will treat me well. It has so far, and why would I change things up?"

Nat shook her head as she looked at you. "He loves you; you know."

You looked to the floor and sighed. "Not enough."

~~~~~

"Ah, James! There you are! I need to speak with you." The King said stopping Bucky.

"Yes, Father?"

"Let's go to my chamber, and then we can talk."

Bucky closed the door behind them, and they both took a seat. Bucky looked around, avoiding eye contact with his father, he was suddenly very interested in the curtains peach color.

"James, I want you to be happy." The King sighed.

"Why wouldn't I be happy?" Bucky mused, his eyes still not meeting his father's.

"Not saying that you aren't, I just don't want you to make a decision you'll regret."

"I have everything under control, father. I feel no need to discuss anything any further. I must be going now." Bucky said standing up.

"James, wait." The King said as Bucky froze. "The reason I stopped calling you Bucky is because I wanted to keep a piece of your mother close. She loved the name James so much, I...I didn't know it irritated you so much. That woman loved you with all her heart and soul. And I realize that you were hurt very badly by her death."

Bucky slowly closed the door and walked over to his father. "It's not like it irritates me as much as hurts me. She called me James all the time, and when you started calling me that after she died, it just hurt to know she wasn't going to be able to call me that again. Why did everything have to change after she died? How come you became so distant?"

"I know I haven't exactly been the best father, but if you'd let me, I want to fix it. I don't want our relationship to be so distant and cold. The death of your mother hurt me too. And she would be so proud of you. So let's start fresh, for your mother." The King pleaded.

Bucky embraced his father, tears threatening to spill. "Yeah...let's do it for mom."

~~~~~~

Friends of the royal family were starting to pile into the castle. There was supposed to be a big dinner tonight, and then the grand celebration tomorrow. The day Bucky would no longer be the prince, he would be the king. As you were walking down the hall, trying to get away from the growing crowd, you bumped into someone.

"Excuse me." A deep voice said. "I didn't mean to crash into you."

You saw a man with warm brown eyes and smooth cocoa butter skin. He steadied you and smiled.

"Prince Sammuel Wilson of Sageridge, but most people just call me Sam." He chuckled.

"Should I bow or something? I don't want to be rude." You said, now very self-conscious about your looks and actions.

"No need. I don't quite like the stuffiness of royal life. Now, I don't believe I caught your name."

"Uh, it's Y/n. Y/n L/n. No title though."

He smiled again. "I don't believe that, Y/n the Beautiful."

You blushed. "Th-thank you."

You both started to walk down the halls of the castle, conversing with each other softly.

"Matchmaker, you say? I bet Bucky has been a handful." Sam chuckled.

"Oh yeah." You huffed. "But he really is a sweet guy once you get past his tough exterior. I think he just needs a little love."

"I suppose you're right. Well, I best be off. My father is probably getting into the chocolate stash, and someone needs to stop him. See you at dinner tonight?" Sam asked.

"Um, yeah."

"Until tonight, Y/n the Beautiful." He said with a wink.