Episode 2: The Crystal Mines

"This is where you sleep," Cassandra said. She had been in charge of overseeing the mines for the past couple days. Frankly, she didn't actually do anything but show people to their sleeping place and stroll the mines. Super boring.

Varian glanced at her. It was the first time he had seen the witch with power of the moon. To be honest, the rumors made her sound old and ugly. It did not do her her justice, but he wasn't thinking about looks. He was studying her body language and eyes, trying to figure her out.

"Thank you," Faith said. Varian wondered if she said it just to get a reaction out of Cassandra. She only spoke when necessary.

She only grunted as a reply. "If anything is important, let me know." With that said, she left them all in the large room.

"Hey, this isn't too bad," Varian said when he noticed the other's forlorn faces. "At least we have a roof over our head and we'll be fed two meals a day without cost. It could be worse."

"With all do respect, Varian, we haven't been in the mines yet," a man retorted.

Varian sighed. "Exactly. Why are you gloomy now?"

"The issue that put us here to begin with."

"Ok, fair. This has been a shitty week. I'm not saying it's been any less."

"We better set up our cots. We have fifteen minute before we have to be at the mines," Faith reminded them.

"Right."

When everything was ready, they all walked to the mines and lined up as instructed. A man named Anthony the Weasel walked down it, looking at them. He pointed to an eleven year old who sniffed and wiped his nose.

"You, are you sick?"

"No, sir. His nose is just running from the cold," Varian spoke up.

He walked up to Varian. "Was I speaking to you?"

"No, sir-"

"Then you don't open your mouth-"

"He's mute, sir," Varian finished

Anthony frowned at him, but he decided to leave it that. "You all pass the code. Go on in. The workers will show you how to work the stations."

Faith was at the front of the line and Varian nodded to her to go. She took a deep breath and went inside and the rest followed her. The mines were dark, but the further they went, the prettier if was with all the green gems lighting up. That was probably what they were mining for.

Varian went to his position, which was next to an old woman. "Hello. I think you're suppose to show me what to do. I'm Varian."

She glanced at him. There were dark circles under her eyes and she seemed exhausted. She was probably too old to be doing work in the mines like she was.

Varian shifted uncomfortably. "So I just scoop up the gems with the shovel like this?"

Still no answer from the woman. So he did his best to mimic her moves, minus the shaking hands. He then put the gems in a bucket, which was carried away to be dumped in a mine cart. It was relatively easy work as other miners piled the gems they mined on the ground for him to scoop.

About three hours in, the woman stopped and clutched her chest. Varian stopped shoveling and looked at her with concern. "Ma'am are you ok?"

She teetered and began to fall. Varian dropped his shovel and caught her and slowly eased her to the ground. He looked at her and realized what was happening. "Fuck! Someone hurry! She's having a cardiac arrest!"