Chapter 4

CLAIRE LOUNGED ON THE COUCH in the center of a room full of guests. They once again littered her family's sitting room, sipping cordials and digesting their extravagant dinner. Her aunt and Sarry flanked her, keeping her safe from Eddie's fast hands. Unfortunately, that didn't save her from his dominating conversation. He sat in a chair nearby, leaning in close and not stopping to take a breath. He tried hard to interest her, but Claire's mind was elsewhere. Across from them, Father sat on the other couch enjoying a cigar. He rolled it between his fingers and barely listened to Eddie's drivel. No one dared to sit with him. He was posed like a king on a giant throne.

        "So Claire," her father interrupted.

        Fritzy stepped up to his couch and offered her father a drink. Her father accepted, pleasantly surprised. Claire eyed the golden haired man, taking note of how attentive his behavior.

        "Thank you," he nodded to Fritzy.

        Fritzy pocketed his free hand and sipped the drink he'd brought himself, eyeing the people in the room. Claire kept her eyes on him, trying to assess all they saw. She recalled what Sarry suggested at dinner. Despite appearances, somehow it didn't quite add up.

        "Claire," her father said, recapturing her attention. He sat up very straight on the edge of his seat. After a moment, he smiled. She felt
the pressure of Fritzy's eyes as they turned to her as well. He considered her as carefully as a cop sitting across from his collar. "What are your plans now that you're all grown?"

        "Plans?" Claire said, half surprised he bothered to talk to her. This was the most he said to her all night. "I can't rightly say," she answered softly, quite uncomfortable under the probing gaze of her father's new chum.

        "I was planning on taking her 'round the country," Aunt spoke for her. She carefully awaited Father's reaction, smiling to hide her concern. "It's time she met some of our friends."

        "I meant while you're in Boston," her father said. The sentiment between them had not changed. The ice could supply a decade of drinks.

        "I hadn't really given it much thought," Claire said.

        "We should have a night out!" Sarry said.

        "That'd be fantastic," Eddie chimed in. "Just like old times."

        "A girls' night out," Sarry corrected Eddie flatly.

        "Sarry, you can't just keep Claire to yourself," Eddie whined.

        "She hasn't been home in—"

        "I think that would be wonderful," Claire's father cut him off.

        "You should have a night with your friends. God knows, hanging round the house with your old man won't be any fun. Work, work, work! With the war on, the factory is busier than ever and I can't spare a moment," he went on, puffing his cigar and sitting back on the couch. He rested his glass on his knee and watched her carefully.

        "I haven't seen you in months," Claire said. Brushing her off like that dug deep. She saw her father's jaw set and forced a smile to soothe him. "But I understand. We'll catch what time we can. Like you said, it's a good opportunity to see my friends again anyway."

        Silence took over as they held each other's gaze. It reminded Claire of a night long ago. Aunt tensed at her side. Sarry lit a cigarette and cast her attention toward the chattering couples scattered about the room. Claire wanted to disappear into the couch.