Myra - Nightmare

The next week and a half flew by. I rotated between two hotels, Emily's house, Troy's couch, and Mason's bed. There was only one week left before it was time to go home. I tried not to feed Emily's excitement with details of what Mason and I were doing. I did not know. Mostly just setting him up for sheer pain and disappointment.

Mason and I lie in his bed. He is facing me, studying my face. Surely, he can see the mixed emotions in my eyes. He caresses my cheek then kisses me on the forehead. "Goodnight, Myra." It did not take long before sleep consumed me.

I was back in high school. Everybody was talking at once. The walls were faded. Crowds of classmates clustered in the hallways. I walked down the center of the hall. Some people stared. Others glared. People began to stare as they laughed. The hall became narrower, longer. My peer's conversations grew louder. I walk faster. SMACK. I take a step back to see Hallie. "Better luck next time!" She sneered. I could not catch my breath. The room began to spin. Faster. Faster. Just as I closed my eyes. Everything disappeared.

I jolted awake. Mason was passed out. It was my turn to study him for a moment. He was so sweet. So kind. He took Makayla and me to a park and frozen yogurt. She absolutely adored him. The companionship felt wonderful. A genuine smile crept up my face. Nothing else existed outside of this moment. I curled up beside him. He woke just enough to wrap his arms around me, pulling me back in.

Just as my body relaxed, my anxiety flared. You barely know this guy. Opening up to a stranger is wrong. You can not stay for someone you just met. At the same time, he would be devastated. Why should you care? Why did I care, though? It took about an hour, but I finally fell back asleep.