Chapter 9: Hanging with Missing-Nin [Edited- New Chapter]

A/N- 2021

So I'm pushing a non-binary Haku headcanon, so in this story, Haku uses they/them pronouns.

-March 6th, Y14, 12:00 PM-

It was overcast over Iwagakure with strong winds blowing through the village made of rock and stone. A few loose strands of your hair moved in the breeze from where you sat on the rooftop of one of the buildings in the village.

Though not your first time in the Land of Earth, it was the first time you had visited Iwagakure. The village had fascinating aspects. It was the only village to have an Explosion Corps due to the prominence of Explosion Release among native ninja. And the Third Tsuchikage could also use Dust Release, making him the only other person alive other than yourself who could use it. You had heard he had quite the attitude, though.

Exploring the village would be a good start to the individual part of your training journey, but you would miss traveling with Jiraiya. He had became something of a second father to you and let you call him Jiraiya-Pa. He had worked with you on using your techniques while in your Chakra Mode, Sage Mode, or both of them used together. You had decided to start calling the combination of the two modes the Eleven-Tails Sage Mode. Jiraiya had also taken you to Mount Myōboku, and you had met his Toad Summons, who all had instantly taken a liking to you.

However, the thing you were most proud of accomplishing was opening the Eighth Gate while using either the Body Revival Technique or the Ultra-Fast Regeneration Technique. You were now able to achieve your full potential and chakra reserves without damaging your body, though you didn't intent to use it unless necessary.

You lay back and rested your arms behind your head, appreciating the peacefulness of watching the clouds slowly move. You never took peace for granted, especially now that you were going to be traveling alone, making you a target for missing-nin. Though part of you didn't mind being a target. You enjoyed fighting, but perhaps that was a character flaw within yourself and hypocritical to the peace you wanted to bring to the shinobi nations.

"There you are," Jiraiya said, landing on the roof beside you. "Are you planning to leave without saying goodbye to the great Toad Sage?!"

You sat up and chuckled. "I would never think about it, Jiraiya-Pa. I was just... thinking. I'm going to stay in Iwagakure for a bit, but I have to figure out where I will go over the next two years."

"You can't go wrong with wherever you choose. Just have fun, kiddo!" Jiraiya ruffled your hair before offering you his hand. You grabbed it and he pulled you onto your feet. "Now, it's time for you to head out on your own. I would tell you to stay safe, but I don't think I have to worry about you being able to handle yourself."

"Thank you, Jiraiya-Pa. For everything," you told him before reaching into your bag and pulling out a journal. "Despite how much I did not want anything to do with Icha Icha, I think you actually have a solid book on your hand with well-written female characters for once."

"Awe, I knew you couldn't refrain from reading through the draft of a soon-to-be literary masterpiece."

You deadpanned. "That's because you begged me to edit it before I left."

Jiraiya grinned and took the journal from your hands. He would never change, but at least you edited his first draft without an issue. Maybe once you were older, you would read through the series just to see if it was more enjoyable.

Adjusting your bag on your shoulders, you took a step back. Well, this was it. From here on out, for the next year or two, you would be on your own.

"I'll see you when I see you, Jiraiya-Pa," you said and hugged him. "Good luck with your book."