Chapter 12: The Truth and Treason [Edited- New Chapter]

-2:14 PM-

Naruto and Sakura pestered Kakashi to tell them about himself, while Sasuke quietly ate his ramen but paid attention to the others. He tried not to act like it, but he was just as curious as the other two were regarding the mystery of Kakashi's likes, dislikes, hobbies, and dreams. Maybe you should do what you did to Sakura and tell them what you know. You were sure Kakashi would love it if they found out about the content of the book series he was obsessed with.

Teuchi approached with your bowl of ramen, and you thanked him when he set it down in front of you. You had missed Ichiraku's. You didn't know what he and Ayame put in their ramen, but you had not found a better ramen shop during your four years of travel.

"How much do I owe you for everything, Teuchi?" you asked, picking up the chopsticks he gave you.

"It's on the house!" he laughed with a close-eyed smile. "I'm happy to see that Naruto is officially a Genin, and I'm glad to have you back in the village."

"Are you sure?" You double-checked and he nodded. "Well, you better not tell Naruto that, or he'll eat everything you have."

Teuchi laughed louder and nodded, knowing that Naruto would eat all he could. You thanked him again before eating your ramen, listening in on the conversation going down between your new team. Sakura asked Naruto about Haru and his relation to you, and your eyes flickered to Kakashi, who interrupted Naruto before he could answer.

"Naruto, there is only person who should answer that question," Kakashi told him and gestured to you, making Naruto and Sakura look at you.

"Who was Haru?" Sakura asked you.

"One day, I'll tell you all about him, but it's not something I want to discuss right now, Sakura," you told her as you picked at your ramen. "It's nothing personal against you. It's just a lot of memories that I don't feel like reliving at the moment."

She pursed her lips but nodded, and you sent her a grateful look as you ate your ramen. You would've become an emotional wreck if you had tried talking about Haru with how little sleep you were running on. There would come a time you did tell the team about him, but it wasn't now. You also hoped Naruto respected that because he did know a lot about what had happened since he also knew Haru. He was free to tell Sakura about his friendship with your dead best friend, but you didn't want him speaking on your behalf. Your relationship with Haru was for you, and only you, to speak on.

After finishing your ramen, you placed your chopsticks in the bowl and got out of your seat. Your movement caught the attention of Naruto, Sasuke, Sakura, and Kakashi. The Genin sent you a confused look, but Kakashi nodded to you. It didn't take much for him to notice how exhausted you were. You were sluggish and had bags under your eyes, and he was sure Sakura and Naruto bringing up Haru didn't help.

"Kakashi, you'll fill in Lord Hokage about them passing, right?" you asked, receiving a nod in response. "All right, then I'll see you all tomorrow for the team picture and your first mission."

Naruto cheered before looking at you frantically, shouting, "Wait! What about paying?"

"Don't worry about it. It's covered." You sent him a smile, nodding your head to the team and exiting the ramen shop.

As you started walking down the road, Sasuke called out your name. You stopped walking and allowed him to jog over and join you. What did he want?

"Can we talk now?" he asked.

Your eyebrows furrowed until you remembered what you had told him yesterday. While you really just wanted to go home and sleep, you wanted to talk to him and see what you could find out. It wasn't like it would kill you to stay awake a bit longer.