...and the Soldier Came Home

Europa's Ceremonial Auditorium

The air was abuzz with both professionalism and mild enthusiasm. Both male and female teens were chatting amongst themselves, with both the German, Polish, and Europa Flags draped over the walls. However, one man seemed to be lost in thought and alone, despite the several hundred around him. "Guten Tag, Nishizumi. Ready for your promotion from a mere NCO to an actual commanding officer?"

 Ready for your promotion from a mere NCO to an actual commanding officer?"

(Reference for Europa Dress Uniform)

(Europa Flag)

"Ja, Herr Werner. Though I've never been in command of something larger than... a squad." Erik chuckled, looking towards the stage. "Any word about the Sensha-do-JROTC program for this year?"

Werner chuckled before nudging Erik. "Don't worry, you'll know soon enough, Lieutenant Commander." The later nodded before saluting. "Understood, Commander!" Werner merely shook his head before walking away.

After a moment of walking, Werner took the stage and tapped on a microphone. "Attention, Ladies and Gentlemen! We all know why we are here! We have several well earned promotions, as well as a few announcements! Now, let's get the main reason going!" Everyone clapped before it died down. "First up! Johnathan William Smith! For your exceptional leadership skills, you are hereby promoted from a mere Sergeant to a Lieutenant! Congratulations!" Everyone clapped as they turned to a man blushing slightly at the attention he was getting before they looked back to Werner.

The Commander hummed as he spoke again. "To our next promotion, Elizabeth von Bock, for her valiant defense in the face of overwhelming odds from the Lincoln Forces, you are hereby granted the rank of Captain from Lieutenant." Everyone clapped again as Erik began to drown out the surroundings.

He snapped his attention back to the present as he noticed that Werner glanced at him before the latter spoke. "To Erik Karlson Nishizumi! For his dedication that rivals few in our great school's history, From Sergeant to Lieutenant Commander. You, my friend, have the strongest grasp on combined arms in recent history, and as such, you have earned your rank."

Erik's chest swelled with pride before he saluted. After eight years of working from the bottom, he was essentially only answerable to Werner. But the announcements was to catch his attention more than his promotion. "The newly promoted officers are assigned as following: Lieutenant Smith, you will be assigned to the First Infantry Division. Captain Bock, you are assigned to the First Bombardment Squadron as Flight Lead. And Lieutenant Commander Nishizumi, you command the vaunted Third Panzergrenadier Brigade. Treat your new units well, and do us proud!"

"Now, the second announcement. The International JROTC Organization and Japanese Sensha-do Federation have agreed to have a select unit from each of the JROTC schools sent to a selected School in Japan. Europa has been selected to be paired with the Black Forest Academy, or Kuromuromine. And the unit selected is the Third Panzergrenadiers. Nishizumi, you are to inform your unit and be ready to be transferred to a transport ship in the morning at 0900 hours." Werner looked right into Erik's eyes, the latter nodding slightly, indicating he understood the underlining rule and warning.

Everyone saluted before Werner chuckled. "Thus concludes our ceremony. I highly recommend staying, but I understand if you need to leave. Danke, and Gut Natch." Everyone began to chat amongst themselves, or started to filter out, with Erik being the one of the latter. I need to inform the new unit... I'm not ready...

After a few moments of walking, Erik came upon a building with a sign/plaque next to a door. Third Pzr. Grn. Brg. "Bingo." He sighed as his hand landed on the doorknob and  opened into a bright garage. And similar to the ceremony, it was abuzz with activity. Not as professional or tight-up, but everyone was in their combat fatigues, rather than any dress uniform. One of the members looked at Erik before noting the rank and stood up at attention, saluting and shouting. "COMMANDING OFFICER ON DECK!" Everyone stooped what they were doing, standing at attention and saluting crisply.

 "COMMANDING OFFICER ON DECK!" Everyone stooped what they were doing, standing at attention and saluting crisply

Erik chuckled before returning the salute as he spoke. "I'm Lieutenant Commander Erik Karlson Nishizumi, your new C.O. I'm on the understanding that your are the best! As such, I would like to witness that on the field of battle. However, I also bear news regarding the Japanese situation. The Third Panzergrenadiers have been selected to represent Europa in the Sensha-do field. And we are tied to the Black Forest Academy, so the equipment will be familiar. The bad news: we leave aboard the transport at 0900 hours. I suggest getting rest and making final checks on your equipment before the overnight crew loads them onto the transport." He looked around before nodding. "As you were, Soldats!"

Everyone went back to what they were doing, playing cards, inspecting their Sd.Kfz. 521s, weapons, and kits, or simply conversing. However, a Sergeant walked over to Erik before he could leave to prepare the potential paperwork of such a transfer. "Commander, sir! Name's Jaeger Donitz! Rank  Sergeant. I'm your SiC for the time being."

The pair shook hands as Erik chuckled. "Related to Karl Donitz by any chance?" The pair laughed before Jaeger smirked. "Distant. Here's the list of all our equipment and numbers. No doubt it will help with paperwork. If you need assistance, the officers will help when called."

Erik nodded before taking the file. "Well, Gut Natch. Get some rest, Sarge." Jaeger nodded before Erik left the building, heading towards his dorm, taking the time to clear his head.

As he entered the dorm, he turned on the light and sat down at his desk, opening the file, reading the contents:

The Third Panzergrenadier Brigade

Motto: We lead, Europa Follows

Nationalities: 85% German, 15% Polish

Personnel: 1 Commanding Officer, 50 Non-Commissioned Officers, 650 Enlisted

Equipment:

50 Sd.Kfz. 251 Halt-Track Armored Personnel Carriers
10 Panzerkampfwagon Ausf Gs
600 Kar98k  Rifle Replicas
40 StG 44 Rifle Replicas
10 MG 42 Machine Gun Replicas

Notes: Autonomous commands are recommended for NCOs for maximum effects.

Erik sighed before sighing. "I hope the reports they give are more detailed than the crap in this file. Explains how light it was..." The man sighed as he opened up his laptop, typing up the information and preparing to send an email to the Headmistress of Kuromuromine, noting the number of people assigned to the carrier....