Chapter 9

Rachel's POV:

"Can I get a Brunch Special Deluxe with a strawberry mango smoothie to drink?" I ask the cashier as I grab a ten dollar bill from my back pocket. "Yes, what size would you like that smoothie?" The cashier asks dryly with tired eyes. It's just after eleven o'clock and I'm pretty sure she's hit that mid-morning wall. Couldn't blame her tho; we all have those days. Heck, I'd love to go home and hit the sack for a few more hours myself.

"Oh, grande please" I respond with a friendly smile. She returns the gesture and types my total into the register, quietly humming a familiar tune while yawning slightly. "Hey, are you singing that new song by Ed Sheeran? Love him!" I ask cheerfully in hopes to lift the cashier even further out of her melancholic state. Thankfully, it seems to be working. She smiles big and looks up with an equal look of shyness and excitement, obviously pleased with the recognition.

"Uh huh. It's my favorite from his new album. The song is called 'Thinking Out Loud'," she replies and continues ringing me up, now with a little more pep in her step.  "Yeahhh, that's it! It's a beautiful song; I understand why it's your favorite. Mine is 'Photograph'." I adjust the clip in my hair. "you have great taste in music, by the way" i add, earning another appreciative smile from her. She counts up my change and hands it to me along with a printed receipt. "Aww, thank you! You seriously just brightened my entire morning." She laces a hand on her chest as I smile warmly. "So do you; 'Photograph' is a great choice haha. Would you like that order to-go or for here?"
"For here, thank you"

"Okay. Your food will be ready soon. Feel free to wait wherever you'd like" She smiles professionally and begins serving another customer. I take the opportunity to discretely drop the change from my transaction into a tip jar across the counter. She was nice. I hope her day gets better.

I walk towards the window booths where my best friend, Jenna, is already seated. She, too, was waiting for her meal. "What'd you order?" Jenna asks curiously as i slide onto the red leather cushioned seat. "Just the usual. The Brunch Special. You?" "Same as always; English muffin with egg and avacado toast with-"

"With a green tea frapp plus extra whip and cinnamon dusted on top. I know" we say in unison, giggling a bit as a server sets my friend's tray of food on the table in front of her. Jenna thanks the guy and turns to unwrap her breakfast sandwich. She pauses and looks at me sheepishly "How long til yours is ready?" She asks and sets the sandwich down, obviously awaiting her first bite in anticipation. I chuckle to myself and glance towards the counter. "It won't be long. Go ahead and help yourself, you haven't eaten all day" I respond with a pointed yet amused look. She happily starts digging in, letting out a satisfied groan as she takes the first sip of her frappuccino.

My food arrives and I force myself to push back the thoughts of just how many caloric carbs are on my plate. I'm hungry, and Jenna will get concerned if I don't eat like I should. She always does. Once Jen yelled at me once when I went a full day without eating because I simply forgot and almost went to bed on an empty stomach. Sigh. At least she cares.

Immediately conversation turns to her vacation. She spills all the juicy details of her luxurious seaside bedroom and attractive tour guides and funny stories about how her dad was told off by an Island Native. We both laugh and catch up on different topics like work, Jenna's boyfriend and the latest  Kardashian gossip. Typical, I know. I don't even have to watch their show to be informed on all of their drama. But I don't judge, people have to make a living somehow.

The conversation turns to college and I shift I'm my seat, wishing to avoid this particular topic. "So my dad helped finish all my applications and I've applied to five different schools so far. I should get accepted to at least three of them. My parents say I'll be a shoe-in because thankfully the grade on my final exam paid off and-" Jenna's voice trails off as I turn my attention to my drink, spinning it's contents with a straw and drifting into deep thought. Of course she's a shoe-in. Jenna always studied hard and was heavily involved with the school's extra curricular activities. She was even student body president. Everybody loves her, and for good reason. Sure, her parents are wealthy and have connections throughout the entertainment industry; but regardless the Johnson family have all remained the same down to earth, fun loving and well respected people who took me in when I needed it most. I admire them greatly, and am thankful for all they've done for me throughout the years.