Chapter Six

I nearly scream when I wake up, realizing that I'm in a different place. Well, not so much that, but more of my terrible dream. Well, actually it was a great dream until I woke up.

"Jay, Jay?" I call.

"Shh, Lana." He quiets me, obviously awoken by my calls.

"Jessey, where the hell are we?" I ask, trying to make something out in the pure dark.

I hear shuffling as he, I'm assuming, sits up.

"We found an old warehouse, type of thing." He explains. "We couldn't clear all of it, but we got this garage, which is a huge part of it. Now go back to sleep."

I lay back down, cringing as my back hits the ground. I've never been more uncomfortable. I shiver, and pull up my blanket. I don't know as to why I am so cold, considering the fact that it's spring and were in Georgia. Oh wait, I forgot, we're not. We're in Virginia thanks to Dave.

With a sigh, I crawl over to Jessey, and lay down, shutting my eyes and praying for some rest. Sleep doesn't come easy.

-

"Hey, Lana, get up." Eden, I think, says, shaking my chest through the blanket.

But something to me doesn't feel right. I'm freezing, and my head hurts. All of my limbs are limp.

I try to form words, "Urrrgghhh heerrrr."

"Holy shit!" She screams, jumping back. "Guys! Guys! Something's wrong, I think Lana was bit and turned.

I shake my head. "No..."

"She's not bit." Jessey rolls his eyes.

I curl into a ball, trying to cover myself as best as possible with the blanket.

"Lana, are you okay?" Eden asks in a small voice, crouching down and setting her hand on my shoulder. "Lana?"

A shiver runs down my spine and my teeth chatter. She rests her knees on the ground and places her hand on my forehead. "Oh my gosh, Lana, you're burning up." She gasps. "Jessey, Dave, Melina, someone get over here."

They all crouch around me, and I reach a shaky arm out, grabbing at someone else's unoccupied blanket.

"Freezing." I whimper.

"She's got a fever." Melina announces. "It's probably a small thing, and it might just go away in a few days."

"Might." Jessey repeated. "We need to get her on something besides the ground. Maybe a cot, or something."

"I'll find something." James volunteers. "Jessey, don't worry, Melina can take care of her."

"I'm going back to sleep." I groan, shivering again and covering my head. My vision turns black again.

-

"How are you?" A voice asks, as the inside of the car begins to focus.

"I'm fine." I sit up, and see Eden. We're in the trunk of the van, and we're driving again.

"Good." She smiles, and hands me a can of soup. "You've been out for a few days."

"I feel like shit." I groan. "Like I forgot how to walk. And I'm starving."

I take my knife and stab a whole in the can of soup. I drink it out of the can, gulping it down in a few seconds. "Anyways. What'd I miss?"

"We have been looking for somewhere to stay. The warehouse was a bust." She explains. "As far as we can tell, there's no one here, and we're almost out of gas."

"Great." I sigh. "We need to just find somewhere to go."

"Uncle Dave made us come here." Eden says. "And it's too late to go back."

Jessey cheers up front. "Yes! Yes!"

"What is it?" I look over the seat.

"We found something!" He pulls into a dirt driveway of an old wooden house, similar to a barn.

Eden climbs back up a seat, watching as the house becomes closer into view.

"What's so good about this place?" I ask, leaning over the seats. "It's practically a barn."

"It's practically the only thing we've seen for miles." Eden informs me. "Besides, were almost out of gas, and we have nowhere else to go."

I sigh, eyeing the wooden house, nearly a giant hut.

"I don't know about this." I admit, but I slowly climb up a seat anyways.

"Let's go." Jessey commands, after parking the car. He pops the trunk open, so I can grab my crossbow and gun after I climb out of the car. I open the door, and then grab my weapons, regrouping with everyone.

Dave meets us, and him and Jay all give us instructions. "Okay." Jay starts. "Everyone follow me and Dave. Don't shoot unless you're positive you see a walker." Dave nods in agreement, and we all follow Jessey into the wooden door.

The first thing I see is wood. Whoever built this house must have been a lumberjack, or something. The second thing I see, is nothing. There are no walkers yet, as far as I can see.

Jessey rushes us along, up the stairs. We split up into a few groups and search the rooms. Eden, Quentin, and I take the first room, which is a bedroom. The room itself is clear, and so is the closet.

"I don't think there are any walkers here..." I start. "It must be too secluded to-"

I'm cut off by a gunshot from the other room. We all run out of our room to another room, searching for the right one.

We finally find it, and pop in, to see a dead walker on the ground, next to a sleeping bag and a small pile of cans, maybe five or six.

"He tried to hold out in here." Jessey says.

"What?" I look at him.

"Look." He points to the walker's shoulder, which has a clear bite on it. "He didn't know about the biting."

I pull a piece of hair behind my ear and sigh. "Let's get him out of here."

-

A few hours later, we sit at the wooden table, on wooden chairs, and we eat our dinner- tomato soup, sausage, and beans, all from cans of course.

"I'm getting sick of this." Dave says, leaning back in his chair. "I've never hated canned food so much."

I sigh. "We could be on the farm right now." I glare at him.

"I'm sorry." He nearly yells. "How many times do I have to say it? I'm sorry. I was wrong."

Everyone looks down. "I'll go hunting and scavenging tomorrow." Jessey states. "Quentin, you come too."

He nods, and I nearly jump up. "I'm coming too."

"No you're not." He shakes his head.

I stand up, this time, glaring at him.

"Jessey, I haven't needed a dad for years, so stop acting like you are one." I argue. "Now, I am coming, and that's that. No discussion."

He shakes his head, and stands, pushing in his chair and walking into the other room.

"I'm going to sleep." I declare, and walk up the stairs, to one of the bedrooms in the wooden house.

Eden follows shortly behind me. "I'm going hunting with you guys tomorrow."

"Fine with me." I smile. "Jessey can't say anything against it, either."

She shrugs, and we both lay down in the bed, covering ourselves with the heavy quilt.

"Hopefully tomorrow will be better." I say, smiling through the dark.

"It has to." Eden replies, turning over and pulling the blanket higher up to her neck.

I did the same, trying to fall asleep to no avail. There was no way I could.

What a shitty life this is.