Chapter 12

Madelaina :

A week goes by extremely quickly, when you don't want it to. Especially, when it's a week until school starts.

I am currently standing in my closet, staring at myself in the mirror and waiting for the world to do me a favour and swallow me whole.

The Royal Court Academy uniform suffocates me like a noose.

White crisp shirt, black blazer embroidered with the school's crest, mid-thigh black skirt, a black tie and black heeled boots.

Our footwear is the only thing we get to choose to wear ourselves, thank goodness. I would not be caught dead a pair of awful derby shoes, that some old person decided was "sensible".

All my life I've never known how to feel about school.

I've never had any real friends, not counting what happened, so I didn't have people to hang out with or talk to.

Of course, it tires me and bores me to the point of debating whether or not I should throw myself out of the classroom window.

But not all of the time.

Sometimes, I like learning.

Sometimes.

I take a deep breath.

You're going to be fine.

You always are.

I grab my bag, black leather engraved in a pattern of diamonds and gold metal Prada branding.

With a quick goodbye to Salem, I exit my room before I change my mind, not that I would get a choice in the matter, sure my mother would come up and drag me there herself.

I descend the stairs and greet my parents in the dining room.

"Ah. There you are, Della. I was beginning to think I would have to come up there and force you down." Mamma exhales.

Called it.

"Tesoro. You look beautiful as always." Papa says, a kind smile in place. "Are you excited?"

I give him a pointed look at if to say "What do you think?"

"I see." He replies to my sarcastic nature with a look of understanding.

He's always been there in the times that I've ever felt down about having no friends. Telling me that if they don't like me for me then I shouldn't want them to like me at all. Which I agree with of course, I won't change myself, no matter how much I want to be liked.

Then there are the times, where he straight up asks me if I want him to shoot them. I however, decline that option. Not the best way to make friends if you ask me.

Although I could be wrong. It's not like I've had experience. But still.

Besides, papa knows how I feel about that side of his work.

Despite what you may think, I am not one hundred percent against it. I've been taught from a young age that you must do whatever is necessary to get what you want and protect those you love. And if it were imperative, I would do the same thing.

It's how those in our world are raised.

But I don't agree with it when it's unnecessary. Not when the people are innocent.

Which is why I am happy with not having friends. Although it would be nice to have one or two, I thrive in my own company.

So if my famiglia are the only ones who care about me, that's okay. Because they are all I really need anyway.