Chapter 47

Madelaina:

I fall into my seat on the sofa next to Althea and am about to start ranting about what just happened with Lucas when I see the expression on her face.

"What's wrong?"

"Oh, you know." She rips out a page from her notebook and scrunches it so hard her fingers turn white. "Angel's mother gave birth to him."

"Alright." I slowly reach over to take the ball away and place it onto the table. "I'm just going to put this here."

"He's unbelievable!" She explodes and I hold a hand to my heart at the sudden outburst.

"First, he wouldn't give me back my bag. Then, he refused to even let me sort out my books at my locker, insisting that he do it for me. And if that wasn't annoying enough, he literally deposited me onto the sofa after picking me up and carrying me in here."

All of that happened in the time that we were apart?

"Oh."

"He is so frustrating. I can't believe I ever thought I liked him."

"But you do."

"Not anymore."

"Are you sure about that?"

"Positive."

"But what about the fact that he was just trying to do something with you. In his own special way, but still."

"We-"

"And what about when you were telling me all about the stuff that happened at your house, aside from the whole sexual attraction and sleeping with each other thing. You said you liked listening to him. Talking to him."

She groans and slumps down into the cushions. "I did say that. I do like all those things. But...ugh. I don't know."

"Why don't you just talk to him?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"Because he should be the one who comes and talks to me."

"Has he not made it clear that he likes you?"

"He's given nothing other than mindless flirting and a one night stand. If he wants this to be serious, he needs to show me. Properly. Or man up and tell it to me straight."

I hum in agreement.

"Lucas needs to prove himself too." She adds. "If he wants my best friend, he better be worth her."

People start to quieten down and Miss Bennet walks in.

I lean my head on her shoulder and we get comfortable, ready for a long lesson about classical literature.