Ceremonial Day

...

Eren thought it was weird, the way everything was happening so fast. He looked in the mirror, eyeing his unbuttoned shirt as it hung over his shoulders.

He was graduating today. He was moving out soon. He was going to college.

"Eren, get your cap and gown!" Carla's voice could be heard down the stairs, the sound of heels meeting wood filling the house.

"Okay!"

Eren finished buttoning up his shirt, stuffing it in his slacks before doing as his mother instructed. He held the packaged items in his hands, walking out of his room before glancing into Mikasa's.

He paused at the doorway, watching the girl put in her earrings. Mikasa was wearing a dark red sundress, her hair braided and brought to the back of her head (no doubt a courtesy of Carla). She looked pretty, especially with the way the straps of her dress draped over her arms.

"Who're you trying to impress?" Eren leaned against the doorframe, catching his sister's attention.

"Armin."

Mikasa held back a laugh when Eren threw his folded gown at her, the cloth falling to the floor. She finished putting her earring in, taking a step back and giving herself a once over. She wasn't the biggest fan of her shoes, but Carla insisted that the heels went with the dress.

"Your mom will freak if she sees that on the floor." Eren rolled his eyes at Mikasa's claim, reluctantly walking into her room and picking up the gown. "Your hair is a mess too."

"Yeah yeah, keep nagging me." Eren brought himself next to the girl, running a hand through his hair while he stared at his reflection in the mirror. "Are you gonna nag your roommate too?"

"You mean Annie?" She received a nod. "Annie likes to keep herself clean, unlike you."

"Say what you want, but we both know you're gonna miss it."

Eren wasn't sure if he was referring to Mikasa's nagging or his uncleanliness, but he assumed he meant a combination of sorts. He watched Mikasa put on a small smile before looking away, walking towards her desk.

The girl picked up her phone, using it for a moment before looking back at Eren. The boy was watching her through the mirror, his hand still stuck in his hair. Mikasa sighed before walking towards him, knowing he was having trouble.

"Let me do it." Mikasa started pushing the boy's hair back, almost surprised when he didn't push her hands away. "It's not that hard, you know."

Eren stayed silent for a moment, shifting his gaze to the floor. "It's not like I can ask my dad for help. It's not like I want to, either."

Eren and Grisha haven't been on good terms for a while, basically the entirety of spring. It felt like only yesterday when Eren first stormed out of his house for the first time, running to Armin's and screaming about how much he hated his father.

He still hated Grisha. In fact, the hatred had only grown as time went on. Eren stopped trying to look past it the moment he found out that his father spoke to Armin over the phone.

The brunette took a glance at the mirror; he wondered how often Armin thought about that phone call, or if he thought about it all.

"Well, you don't need him." Eren felt Mikasa's hands leave his hair, the girl taking a step back. "Your hair's longer than it used to be."

"That's how hair works, Mikasa." Eren eyed his newly styled locks, snickering when the raven-haired girl slapped his shoulder. "I'm not complaining. It looks good, thanks."