chapter three

Alexander Palace, Tsarkoe Selo, Russia, July 10th 1917

We had been summoned to father's study, luckily we hadn't been separate and were all in one room when the demands came through. Mama had muttered something under her breath but complied anyway.

I saw Papa's face contort with anger at the site of one of the leading guards, perhaps Kerensky -  I don't know I never cared for their names, he was sat laid back on Papa's chair. His face is inscrutable. I've always had a love for this room, the secret conversations me and Papa used to have, the comforting smell of his pipe smoke always greeted me as if it was an old friend - and even know I could see the dried ink mark on his desk, we tried hard to get it out of the oak desk but Papa declared it as meaningless.

"That's Papa's desk." Anastasia announces, a scowl growing on her face, the intruder stares blankly at her. He removes himself from his once 'relaxed position' and leans over the desk, so his face his mere inches away from hers, Alexei is huddled into my side now whilst Maria and Tatiana are close to our parents.

"It is not his. Not anymore at least. Now all of you sit down. There is news." He announces, as he sits back, his hands slipping to the back of his head carelessly, Anastasia still glares at him but forces herself to sit down.

I'm stuck between Maria and Anastasia, Maria is picking at the clinging dirt in between her nails, we had all been working the garden, our boots were practically caked in mud, I was helping plant cabbages for the winter whilst Anastasia was louring with the idea of malice playing at her. And every word that slipped his mouth, made her churn with loathing.

"You will be leaving the Alexander Palace on 31st of July." He declared. Mama eyes went wide.

"What do you mean we're leaving?" Mama hissed, "For how long?" Concern had taken over her voice, I didn't pay attention long enough to hear what the answer was, my eyes were examining the room, where all his weapons used to be. They'd been seized upon Father's arrival back home, his revolver, mauser pistol and many others. One of the guards insisted they weren't needed, their protection of us would be guaranteed and they should be the ones armed. Father had cursed about it, but he rested assured.

I wonder if they knew of my pistol. It was tucked into my boot at this very moment, Papa had forced me to hide it there, and I haven't taken it out since. I knew how to handle it if anything was to turn sour.

"Permanently?" Alexei whispered. This bought me out of my imagination what had I missed, I looked around at my family for any signs of what my emotions and reaction should be, there was an array of confusion and sadness.

"Permanently." He confirms, his eyes hold something of sinister involvement.

"This is our home, you can't do that!" Maria pleaded, her face was transformed into one of misery. Tatiana and Alexei nodded in agreement, whilst Anastasia's stare had fallen to her feet, she kicked them together watching the dried, caked mud fall into clumps on the burgundy carpet.

"This is not your home," he spits, a mocking tone occupied his words, "This is a building that belongs to the Russian people, and they've requested for your removal. After all it's the price you pay for sins."

Mama is shocked at his insinuation that we've sinned. I look up now, my mouth parted in shock, had our people really turned their backs on us that quick? I caught Father's glance, he was stunned into silence. Had he really been a bad Tsar? I don't think so, he did all he could.

"Where will we go?" I asked, his head perked up at the sound of a new voice being added to the collection.

"Away." He stated, his eyes gave him away, he knew, perhaps he was sparing us of any sadness, perhaps it is an evil place we will go to but he doesn't care enough to spare us from that.

"And what if we don't? We can refuse." Mama demands, I suspect that Kerensky has quite quickly lost patience for my mother, but yet he tolerates her, and answers with relatively good grace and manners.

"Then, you might just find yourself with metal embedded in you from a pistol." Kerensky responds, he says it as if killing someone was a daily occurance for him. My face is dropped in fright, I make a promise to myself then, aslong as that pistol is on my body then I will use it in any means to protect my family, even if that means having to shoot a metal slug bullet into one's brain.

"Now leave, be gone to carry on with your work or start to collect your things. Busy yourselves." Kerensky announces, he slips back into his relaxed position, his hands resting behind his head and his eyes closed. We leave in the order we were sat down in, I'm the second to last to leave, and as I leave the darkened spirit room of a once joyful study, someone's eye catches mine.

It's the same man from many moons ago, the one who had returned my book, Vlasov! I looked him up and down and he flashes me a kind, warm hearted smile. I'm too nervous to return it but I stare too long and when he is pulled away by a fellow guard I am pushed by Anastasia.

"Olya, you're so slow!" She complains.

"Oh shush yourself." I reply.