The World of 2042

2031: Despite many technical innovations, the rich and powerful of World refuse to completely switch to renewable energy, since they simply want to increase their profit. This policy of short term gains in exchange for the survival of humanity has disastrous consequences. The Ice in the Arctic and Antarctica starts to melt at an increased pace, faster than anyone anticipated.

2034: The Climate Crisis leads to the Second Great Depression as the worlds resources are dwindling. It's not just about gold, copper, cobalt and other minerals. Battles are fought over water and the last pieces of fertile land.

2035: The European Union dissolves after many of their member states become bankrupt due to the Great Depression and become failed states. The Euro crashes, now 1 € is only worth 0,08 $.

2037: By the time the world has somewhat stabilized, the Sea level has risen by 12 Meters (40 feet) since 2021. 1,2 Billion people have become displaced due to the rising Sea levels or the extreme weather conditions. The media calls these people "Non-Patriated" or "No-pats". The No-Pats are not a united front but rather several groups. Most of them just try to find a new home and survive, while a few engage in criminal activities.

40 countries have become failed states. Large areas along the Nile, Mississippi and Amazon river are under water. Many islands in the Pacific and Indonesia were completely swallowed by the Ocean. Half of the worlds cities are in danger or, like Miami, Venice, Rio de Janeiro, Shanghai, London, Saint Petersburg, New Orleans, Hamburg and Alexandria, had to be abandoned. In addition, the temperatures in some areas around the equator will rise to such extent, that they will soon be uninhabitable for humans.

Social unrest are common in the majority of the worlds nations. Heavy storms and forest fires regularly destroy costal or urban areas.

2040: For still unknown reasons, a Kessler Effect destroys 70% of all satellites, causing worldwide panic. This also leads to a new Cold War between Russia and the USA, who blame each other for the Blackout and are now unable to spy on each other. But some suspect that No-Pats were involved, who want to take revenge on the very same nations that displaced them.

2042: War seems inevitable. Both Russia and the USA recruit the desperate No-Pats into their ranks and promise them a piece of what's left of this dystopian world. For the superpowers, it's better to sent No-Pats to die in the meat grinder than their own people. No-Pats who do not take part in this war, and who have already lost everything, will inevitably be caught in the crossfire. Millions will die.

But a small select group of No-Pats, all of them Ex-soldiers, are about to meet on the battleship Exodus to discuss strategy. They want to prevent World War 3, but one question remains:

What are they willing to sacrifice?