I: mystery to solve

stirlinghaven,
northern france
population: 2,637 and dropping

•˚⋆‧₊˚⋆。˚⋆

the streets of france were destroyed by the war's aftermath. in search of work, people rushed everywhere, slogging through muck and torrential rain. for years, children endured infections and hunger brought on by food shortages. only a few horses, donkeys, and other weaker animals were utilized for heavy labor.

for those at the bottom of the social scale, it was the worst year, but for ruby, who came from an affluent family, it was simply another day.

ruby groaned as she peered through her dusty, mist-covered windowpane down the house courtyard.

what was once a lush garden area with hornbeam hedges and a gravel pathway lined with cypress trees became a drab sight. even the sound of the cast stone fountain's gushing water doesn't seem to be able to take her mind off of a feeling she is unable to describe.

what is it? she let out a long sigh.

the dark sky had finally stopped pouring down rain. birds are singing and chirping. the trees swayed to the sounds of nature. it was serene and lovely- a breathtaking scene that one does not simply witness every day. and even though for ruby this was just another morning waking up to it, she adored the view each time.

but what changed? why was she feeling strange? something was lurking on the corners of her heart.

loneliness? her brow furrowed at the thought.
such a strong feeling. it was a little too dramatic even for her.

perhaps boredom.
she gave a bitter chuckle.

the view below her and the din she hears outside made her feel lonely more than ever. she yearned for some fresh air. she yearned for the sun to touch her flesh. especially the ambiance, music, and chill of the night.

sipping a dubonnet in a caf'conc as she listened to a risqué or bawdy music will undoubtedly do her some good.

clink, clink. fingernails impatiently tapping on the glass window. ruby huffed with a pout.

why was she still confined in this dull room when the war was over and the economy was slowly recovering from massive losses? she wished to be out on the streets, helping the locals. furthermore, they aren't just anyone; they are her friends and neighbors. people she had met and interacted with over the course of her life. yet her father would not let her step outside.

but when has she ever listened?

not when seine river overflowed, filling the entire city with water. not when the champagne riots began. not when the mona lisa was stolen from the very walls of louvre. and certainly not when the opening attack of world war I started- the battle of mulhouse.

perhaps that's exactly why her father forbade her. in fear that she would do something unpredictable and reckless in her attempts to play detective, endangering herself and others.

ruby enjoys discovering secrets; some may say she sticks her nose where it does not belong, but she couldn't care less. that is what a detective does, and she considers herself as one.

as long as she wasn't harming anyone or breaking the law, she could be fairly persistent. she has enough money to cover all the losses brought on by her playful quest for the truth.

and unbeknownst to her as she left secretly that night to visit the famous l'auberge off the alley of pinemeadow.. she would get exactly what she wanted- a mystery to solve.