Epilogue

Epilogue

- Just About a Year and a Half Later -

Scorpius trembles as he focuses on gripping the pen between his fingers. He bends over the coffee table, nearly ninety degrees, with his nose almost to the paper as he attempts to draw a straight line. The pen fumbles from his grasp, and he sighs.

"Don't be discouraged," Albus says, sitting beside him with a hot mug of tea between his hands. It smells like mint and honey.

He scoffs. "It's not me," he insists. "It's these Muggle pens. They're lighter than quills, and they're shit."

Albus chuckles. "I like them. I can keep them in my pocket." He pats his trousers, where he usually keeps a pen clipped and a small writing log.

"Please. They've done nothing to help your terrible script."

"That girl in my film class calls it doctor's handwriting," Albus says with a sarcastic seductive drawl. "Maybe I should be in medical school."

Scorpius rolls his eyes. "She's just flirting with you, mate."

He looks over and sees Albus smiling distantly, his eyes downcast to the white rug in their shared flat. After they left Hogwarts, Scorpius decided to accept Albus's offer to lodge with him while he goes through his physical therapy routine—it took seven months to regain almost full-range of motion. It will take much longer for Scorpius to be able to draw like he used to, but he's determined. He could actually go back home at this point. But for now he stays with Albus. By his own choice.

It's not so bad in London.

Albus is often gone, working at a cafe around the corner and going to university. Scorpius—whose father pays his share of rent, food, and utilities—focuses mostly on his body, and learning how to cook. While just his shoulder has required rigorous 'PT', as Albus calls it, he's had subsequent back and neck issues as well from the same accident.

When they're home at the same time, Albus shows him movies that they 'stream online'. Albus has integrated into Muggle life much more smoothly. Even simple things: Scorpius still doesn't understand why there's a difference between Netflix, Hulu, Peacock, and HBO—or more so, why Albus 'subscribes' to all four with his magic 'credit card'. But even Scorpius can't deny the wonder of cinema.

"Rosie just texted. She thinks she'll be here in an hour. And your parents?"

Scorpius grins. "Yeah, they'll be here early evening. Thanks for being all right with it. I know it's a bit much."

"Don't think twice about it, Cory. I'm really happy for you."

"Um, Albus . . . Can I ask?"

Albus sucks in his cheek and scratches behind his ear. "I suppose. If you'd like."

"Have you heard from Kiara?"

He takes Albus's silence as a no. Although Albus tends to be secretive about it, he's been sending the girl a letter about once every two or three months since she went home to Belgium and transferred to Beauxbatons.

Not a single time has Albus ever received a letter back.

"I think I ought to let it go, now. I'd be humiliated if she thought I was being desperate. All her new friends probably read my letters and laugh together." Albus takes a sip of his tea and leans back on the couch, smiling despite himself. "I just want her to be happy and healthy. Whatever that looks like."

A long time ago, Albus told Scorpius that Kiara would forget about him. He had no idea the boy had been right. He'd really thought the two together was something special. Albus looks for something to do with his hands, and begins to pet Jamie Button who purrs appreciatively in response.