𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑.

xxiv: soulmates that weren't meant to be

"Name?"

The Ravkan military official sat with a clipboard on his lap, two rifles on either side of the chair. The camp was set up messily, a canteen area was set up on the shingle and resting tests flocked on the decks of warships. Campfires blazed - soldiers huddled around the fire, sheltering against Ketterdam's hostile welcome.

The girl kept her hood up, an array of bombs, daggers and slight pistols sheathed on her every limb. If she was to die, she'd do so with a magnificent array of noise. "I'd like to request an audience with Tsar Nikolai Lantsov," She spoke in beautiful enunciated Ravkan. "I come with a message,"

The official reached for the gun on his belt. However, he froze instantaneously. "I'll pull the trigger," Alessia Ivanov breathed, her gun pressed between the man's legs. "My body count will rise into the millions," She joked.

"If I scream they'll gun you down," The guard whispered, attempting to not wet himself.

Alessia laughed, slightly pulling back her hood to reveal her shadowed features. She had tailored her face well, her authentic features disfigured. "You've got a wife back home - two daughters. They're cute," She rummaged in her coat pocket for a folded photo. "Milana and Katrina - that's my middle name,"

The grown man sobbed. "Making such an order is far above my station," He gasped, almost doubling over. She nudged the barrel of her gun harder into his balls, collecting him back to his senses. 

"Find someone, who can make it happen," Alessia ordered, her voice low. The last thing she needed was for a passing soldier to catch her and jeopardise the operation. If she didn't pass through the first gate, she'd never make it. "I give you eight minutes,"

She set the countdown on her watch, flanking back into the shadows. Alessia watched as the guard scuffled out of his chair, doubling back to grab his rifle and in the direction of the king's ship. "He'll betray your word," Inej whispered, appearing by Alessia's side.

Inej fumbled in the darkness, clasping her hand in Alessia's. "He'll come back with a small army. You should have told him you had his wife and daughters and gunpoint," She spoke smoothly and calmly, equipped with only a single knife.

"What are you doing here?" Alessia hissed, planting a kiss on Inej's cheek. "This was my fight to lose. Not yours," Inej gripped her hand around Alessia's wrist, pulling her against her chest. A guard whistled past, seconds where Ivanov had stood.

Inej placed her fingertips tenderly on Alessia's jaw, meeting her eyes. They were worn and ready, a lifetime skipped past. "You mustn't have thought I'd let you do this alone," She dragged Alessia's hand to rest on her chest, the thumping of their hearts tangling into a steady rhythm. "We are two halves of a singular soul," She said, gently laying her hand to rest by her side.

"Inej," Alessia whispered, hot tears prickling on her lower lashes. Her voice trembled to crack and tumble into the abyss. "Go home, please. Don't think that you have to do this,"

The Suli calmly shook her head, unsheathing her dagger and placing it in Alessia's flat palm. The handle was bone, the metal - Grisha steel. The dagger had once belonged to Natasha Van Doren, one that she had used to nearly take her own life. Kaz Brekker had entrusted Inej to hold onto it, however, she truly believed that Alessia Ivanov was the one who deserved it now.

Alessia admired the dagger beneath the moonlight, angling it to reflect light in Inej's round brown eyes. Even in her sadness, Alessia found beauty within the hood of Inej's eyelids and the kohl pencilled across her waterline. "I love you, Inej Ghafa," She said with a smile, placing an open-mouthed kiss on her lips.

Time itself stoppered, the heavens tumbling to a standstill. Even Ketterdam kept quiet, silencing the wind and peripheral noise. Alessia Ivanov and Inej Ghafa - soulmates with not enough time.

Inej drew back first, breathless. "Together," She spoke, resolutely. Not even the Saints could change her mind. Her father had once told her that someday she'd meet a boy who would learn her favourite flower, her favourite song, her favourite sweet. And even if he was too poor to give her any of them, it wouldn't matter because he would have taken the time to know her as no one else does; only that boy would earn her heart.

However, Alessia Ivanov hadn't just merited her heart, but her very soul. She had taken the time to learn her wants and needs, secret desires and first loves. Inej's soul blossomed with the beauty Alessia sowed, caring for her like a secret garden with colourful roses, vibrant sunflowers and her favourite, wild geraniums.

"Kaz will kill us," Alessia whispered, letting Inej guide her across the perimeter. The Ravkan soldier would be back in less than two minutes, accompanied by a small army. Not even experience could overwhelm the sheer size of thirty to two. "This isn't part of the plan,"

Inej shook her head fiercely. "This is my plan," She said, stopping to recount her knives. "The king's tent is in the centre of camp. There are two entrances and six guards - Zoya Nazyalensky is part of his personnel. We cannot count on David and Genya for protection without hazarding their safety. We need them trusted on the inside for phase two,"

She signalled for Alessia to kneel on the ground, cupping her hands and placing them on her knee. "The perimeter rounds change every two hours. To walk from each post takes approximately forty seconds," Inej checked the ticking clock on her belt, before nodding.

"Thirty-eight seconds," She whispered, taking a few steps backwards. Using the momentum from her run-up, her heel pressed gently into Alessia's palm before springing up into the air. She gripped onto the wire, her palms coated in resin. Inej swung her knee over the fence, kicking her heels for purchase on the wire. "Give me your hand,"

Alessia stared up wide-eyed. "I won't make it,"

Inej leant forward, her stomach pressing against the fence. "Do you trust me?" She simply asked. Alessia sighed, jogging backwards before sprinting. She grappled in the air, releasing a heavy breath as she clasped Inej's hand. Inej leant back with all her strength, tumbling backwards onto the grass.

"I trust you," Alessia grinned, falling in a heap beside her lover.

A/N

- I haven't edited this so please excuse any grammatical mistakes. If you've got any preferences on what fic i should write next please post a message on my conversation board and let me know - i'd love to hear from you guys. Remember to vote, comment and to take care of yourself!

- rosa <33