Prologue - The Explosion

(Before the chapter starts I want to warn y'all that there is a major character death, descriptions of death/violence, explosions + nukes, swearing, and maybe more things (let me know if there is). Be careful and if you need to skip out of this story then do that! You come first!) (Also it's pretty fast paced until the end where it slows down a bit).

𖦹𖦹𖦹

The great Tommyinnit was scared. Well, maybe he wasn't so great now — but he was still Tommyinnit. Years ago — he didn't actually know if it was years ago, but it felt like it, he had eventually stopped counting — he would've been mad if someone said he wasn't great. Now though, he could only agree with a solemn nod as he stared at the floor. People used to call him loud and a child, now he's just Tommy. Some still tried to lighten the mood, calling him a child and forcing a laugh, but it never worked.

He didn't feel like the loud child everyone once knew, but he still felt so small.

He felt so fucking small.

He'd never admit that his reaction to Dream escaping was laughing. He laughed, a harsh, disbelieving, and shrill sound. Quackity's face was filled with pity and even fear as he watched Tommy lose it. He thought it was a joke, some cruel joke that Quackity had somehow thought was funny.

"Tommy-" Quackity had began, "I wanted to tell you before-"

Quackity was cut off as a server wide alert ran through both his and Tommy's communicator. The blonde's heart plummeted. The same words repeating over and over in his head, he couldn't tell if they were being said by Sam in the alert or if it was his own thoughts, it just wouldn't stop.

'Dream has escaped. I repeat, code red server wide alert, Dream has escaped Pandora's Vault.'

He backed up then, bumping into a closed chest as he nearly tripped over his osn feet in his small dirt house. Quackity bid him a farewell, or at least he registered him saying something (that part he didn't register, just mouth moving) before walking out. His house was too small.

But outside was too dangerous.

He curled into a ball, memories painfully popping up. He didn't want to think about them. However, memories can't simply be silenced. (He was wrong). Dream had escaped-

Dream, who shot him in the duel that occured during the revolutionary war, sending him below the water with an arrow in his chest.

Dream had escaped-

Dream, who helped Wilbur blow up L'manburg, his home. Who screamed "YES" when the button was pressed, and multiple people were thrown back, and others could only stand and watch, unable to stop the destruction.

Dream had escaped-

Dream, who made his best friend exile him. Who beat him and stole his things and blew his things up to teach him a lesson.

Dream had escaped-

Dream, who took his best friend's nation's last life. Held his discs for ransom. Almost succeeded in killing his best friend, Tubbo.

Dream had escaped-

Dream, who killed him and brought him back to life.

Dream had-

"Tommy!"

He flinched, grabbing for a weapon — anything he could reach — to defend himself, as Ranboo burst into his home. Red and green eyes met grey ones.

When had his eyes stopped being blue?

"Ranboo?" He asked, barely above a whisper, his voice scratchy enough to make himself internally cringe. His face was wet, had he been crying? Big men don't cry. That's what he taught himself.