The Ball

"It is time to go home." Desrae hears the nonchalant order from her older brother.

She tosses the rabbit upon the back of her horse, as she hooks it onto the saddle. "I doubt anyone would notice if I do not attend." 

"Thousands of girls your age would sell their souls to even watch the event through the palace windows, be appreciative of your privileges," Geltak points out.

She chuckles, "I did not even ask to be born in this timeline where daughters are treated the same as assets. If I could, I would allow them all to take my place at tonight's ball." 

He gets onto his black stallion and heads in the direction of their mansion. "It is only one night, you can pretend just for one night. Besides once it is over you will never have to go to another again." 

She follows behind while picking her nose and watching the birds fly by. "That is only if the chosen queen lives a long life." 

He says nothing after. When they arrive, their horses are taken by two servants.

"Pray I survive the night, Grey." She sighs while rubbing the neck of her Grey stallion then enters her father's mansion after Geltak.

"WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN!" Shouts Beatrice furiously.

"Look, mother! I caught a Harlequin rabbit!" Desrae squeals feeling proud of herself.

"Bath now." Her mother points upstairs.

"But-"

"NOW!" Beatrice shouts at her daughter again. "And get that filthy thing out of my sight."

"Not until I see father." Desrae cocks her head to the side and walks past her mother.

She enters Gremore's personal study where he does all his financial record keeping and contracts.

"Father, look! I caught a Harlequin rabbit!" She raises it in front of him.

"That's my girl. Rare prey indeed!" He chuckles with elation.

Desrae is her father's daughter. Cheerful, passive and optimistic. Traits that differ from her mother completely. She has a strong attachment to Gremore because he has always been more gentle with her. Although, he is not always around in times of need. Beatrice has been more present in her childhood even though she is not gentle by nature.

Despite that her parents have had rough upbringings due to an arranged marriage, she would forcefully look aside all the arguments and possible separations that occurred. Gremore is a good father but definitely not a good husband, proven by the countless affairs he has had in the past.

Beatrice sees much of Gremore in Desrae and sometimes dreaded the realization. The traits she wishes will not become the traits of her daughter. Geltak is more obedient towards her and so is he to their father as well. He is a son both parents are proud of.

The affection Desrae receives from Beatrice always comes off as tough love which she grew to understand. She truly never understood back then but she knows her mother very well now. She grew so attached to her father because she thinks he is the only man that will truly love her for who she is and never stop. She secretly fears the same fate of her parents' relationship. A spouse's love is not guaranteed to last but the love from her father is.

"I can't wait to taste it! I will have the maids cook it up right away!" She smiles.

"Bring mine personally right here in my study and we shall eat together." Gremore says in excitement.

She turns around but then stops. "By the way father. About the-"

He speaks quickly. "Listen to your mother and get dressed. It is mandatory, not attending would be a crime in the eyes of the royal court."