Wedding Night

The ballroom is quiet. The simple drop of a pin can be heard in this silence. Among the large crowd, stands only two proud mothers with bright smiles. Beatrice internally rejoices while the other four ladies feel utter despair. The lady once queen feels proud her only son thinks on his own and does not allow anyone to make decisions for him, specifically his father.

Two fathers' furious but cannot show the fury. One that is no longer king and the other a count who has just lost his daughter. Over fifty men all disappointed this alluring girl will never be touched by their lustful hands. The women are all in shock. The looks of surprise are evident on over a hundred faces but none dare to speak. While the others were all shaken by the new Crowned King's decision, his bride heard nothing.

Yet, her fake smile shimmers brightly which makes everyone think she is overly joyed to be the new Crowned Queen. The fact that Desrae knows nothing of what just happened and is lost in thought about a meal she will no longer be able to eat because she is never returning home, is saddening.

"Come to me, my Queen." King Zen speaks again.

Desrae quickly snaps out of the distant fantasy upon hearing his voice. She looks to her left at Lady Erica, awaiting to see her climb those stairs but she stands still looking like she is about to fall apart in tears.

"Is this what happiness looks like?" Desrae thought. "She is so happy that she cannot move forward."

"My Queen." King Zen repeats.

Desrae turns to see his arm stretched in her direction. Her heart falls to her feet and her knees start to shake. She has never felt such fear in her life as she feels at this very moment.

"It's me, I am the King's wife!" She screams internally.

She turns slightly to see her small family and shows the sadness in her eyes. Gremore and Geltak clench their fists because there is nothing they can do, the king's word is final. Beatrice smiles in joy and signals her to move forward. Desrae turns around and closes her eyes for merely two seconds then begins to walk towards the Prince.

It feels like with each step she takes, she is about to fall. She stares at the King. This is the first time she truly looked at him. She examines his cold, dark brown eyes and handsome face that holds no expression. The cold wind slowly blows through his dark curly hair. His entire presence feels dark and cold to her. She feels like she is walking into a nightmare.

He looks at her beautiful face that holds a forced smile. While others are deceived by the dishonest expression, he could see the sadness deep in her green eyes. This makes him feel satisfied that he has made the right choice. He takes hold of her hand and takes her by his side, her smile still bright.

Without a second to waste, a priest appears and so does a man bearing two rings. The vows were spoken and King Zen quickly says his "I do". She has never been to a wedding but she followed suit and said the very same "I do" as he did.

The ring bearer comes to his side and he places what could be the most beautiful ring Desrae has ever seen, on her finger. The ring bearer then walks over to her and she takes a less alluring ring and she places it on his outstretched finger. The ceremonial ritual is then completed by a kiss on the ring resting beautifully on her finger, by her newly wedded husband.

The sound of cheers and applause is heard from all angles.

"LADIES AND NOBLEMEN IT IS MY LIFE'S GREATEST HONOR TO WELCOME BEFORE YOU TONIGHT, THE KING AND QUEEN OF ALVADOR!"

Everyone bows.

"LONG LIVE THE KING! LONG LIVE THE QUEEN!"

Before Desrae knew it, she was carried to a large carriage. Seated inside along with her, the king. No one can see the inside but the villagers know full well who is passing through so cheers are loud. People sing and dance, all different instruments are heard.