1. Christmas Eve

Timberbrooke was a small town in Ohio where everyone knew everyone, where it was quiet

Timberbrooke was a small town in Ohio where everyone knew everyone, where it was quiet. The Jones family had just moved to Timberbrooke not long ago. It could have been worse. You could have lived a town over in Greendale. Where there's said to be witches and demons and werewolves. Katerina or Katherine was only fifteen years old when she and her family moved to the new house. But that's not where the story starts. It starts about eleven years later. It was Christmas Eve and the day before that was Katherine's twenty-sixth birthday.

It was Christmas Eve night and Katherine was sitting with her family. The house was decorated with extravagant Christmas decorations. The tall pine tree was decorated with lights and ornaments, they all had a meaning behind them. They were one of those families. One of the families that were obsessed with Christmas.

Sat on the couch was Katherine, her fiance Harry, and her little brother Howie. Her brother and his wife were sitting in the bay window, while their parents were in the reclining chairs they had owned since before the kids were born. "So what's your special news?" Sheila, the mother of the three, asked her son's wife, Vickey. "I'm pregnant!" She exclaimed. Katherine couldn't believe it that after five years of her brother, James being married they were finally having a baby. Everyone was giving hugs and laughing and smiling. "That's great you guys!" Katherine wrapped her sister-in-law in an embrace. The family had drinks and a few laughs before it was time for Harry and Katherine to leave. "Bye Sis." The boys said at the same time giving her a hug. "Bye."

"Have a good night and a Merry Christmas," Harry exclaimed. The couple walked out, closing the door behind them. They started walking hand in hand. "Have I ever told you how much I love your family?" Harry asked, laughing. "You know you don't have to say that. They're crazy. Did you not see what happened when Howie opened that stupid video game?" Katherine replied with a laugh. Harry laughed once more. "Hey, it's normal for thirteen-year-old boys to almost kill their pregnant sister-in-law by knocking over Christmas trees." They laughed. "Plus...I love you and your part of them. So I have to love them." Harry kissed her softly and then kept walking. They were three houses down when Harry thought he heard a sound. "What was that?" he turned around swiftly, breaking the connection between the two's hands. "Babe, it was probably a cat or something." Katherine grabbed his hand and continued to walk. He turned again, "I swear I heard something that time." There the two stood wondering what was making sounds, but all that was heard that night...was Katerina's scream.

Play Title..........................................................................................................

2 years later

It was Christmas Eve morning two years after Harry's death. Katherine woke up in her bed in the same house the couple was leaving that night. Katherine sat up in her bed, pushed a strand of hair that was falling out of her bun behind her ear, and pulled her grey tank top strap back onto her shoulder. "Good morning to me," Katherine said, scratching her head and yawning. Katherine checked her phone and started toward the bathroom. She looked in the mirror, replaying the moment from years ago in her head. Her memory was choppy and she was drawing blanks. The only part she could remember clearly was Harry being put in a bodybag and the EMTs saying it was an animal attack and how Katherine was lucky enough to have not been attacked. Katherine opened the medicine cabinet and took out a pill bottle that read her name. They were the anti-depressants. After taking her meds she got undressed and hopped in the shower. She stood there for a moment letting the water run down her face. Her lip started to quiver as she thought about that night. The pit she had when she woke up grew in her stomach as she leaned against the shower wall. Her tears fell as she sobbed. Sheila, her mother, was downstairs making Christmas cookies with Howie, Vickey, and James. It was a family tradition that was being brought down by the loud cry from upstairs. And not Ella, the year-old baby's cry. After the family heard the shower stop running, Sheila went upstairs to check on her only daughter.

Katherine, wrapped in a towel, sat on the edge of her bed staring at the picture of her and Harry at DisneyWorld. She was on her tiptoes kissing his cheek and he had his arm around her taking the photo with his other hand. Katherine put the picture back and started to stare at the wall when she heard a knock on the door. "Come in." She said, making sure her towel covered her body. "Hey, honey." She fake smiled, "Hey Mom. What's wrong?" Sheila came in and closed the door behind her softly. "Are you okay?" She sat on the bed putting her arm around Katherine. "I'm fine. I-I just..." Although Katherine couldn't finish her sentence, her mother could. "Miss him?" Katherine nodded, falling into her mother and sobbing. "I know Sweetie. We all do." Sheila comforted her daughter, sitting there and letting her cry. After a while, Sheila got up. "I know you're upset and still grieving but This is Ella's first Christmas with our side of the family and she needs her Auntie Kat to be there for her." Sheila paused, "Please?" Katherine nodded, "I'll be down in a bit. Let me get dressed." Sheila exited the room with a sigh.

An hour had passed when Howie went upstairs to check on his older sister. He knocked on her door, getting a "Who is it?" Rather than, "Come in." "It's your favorite brother." Her sigh could be heard through the door. "Okay, that's it." He said opening the door and coming into the room slamming the door behind him. "You NEED to cheer up." She was now dressed but was lying on her bed with a pillow over her face. "GO AWAY." Howie flopped down beside her, "Not until you go with me." She sighed, "Dude I'm not in the mood. Go be annoying somewhere else." They both sat up. "Listen," Howie started. "You are never going to be able to get Harry back. But that doesn't mean you should stay cooped up in your room all day. Everyday. For two years." He reached for her hand, "Most people are dating by now, but you haven't even had a conversation with another guy that isn't part of your family." He held onto her hand tight, knowing she didn't want him to let go. "Life's short and if anything, Harry taught us that. Don't let death be the reason you don't live." The most inspiring words she had heard in the past two years came from her fifteen-year-old little brother. He was almost half her age and he knew more than she did. "You know what?" Katerina suddenly felt inspired, "I am going to make our favorite pie and eat it." Howie looked confused for a moment. "What now?" Katherine smiled, "I'm going to forget about HK's and start baking again. I've spent two years not baking because Harry and I would do it together and it made me depressed to think about it." Howie was still caught up in the moment, "Hell's Kitchen?" His comment almost made his sister laugh. "No. Harry and Katherine's. The bakery we would have opened." Howie nodded, "ohhh."

Feeling unusually perky, Katherine grabbed her winter coat and headed downstairs and out the door. Sheila looked up the stairs at Howie. "What in the hell did you do Howard Patterson Jones III?" He shrugged. Katherine soon arrived at the store to buy the stuff she needed to make her extra special apple pie. She arrived at the checkout where she saw Jason Phillips. He moved to Timberbrooke about four years ago to take care of his sick grandma. She died last year. Katherine didn't know why he stayed. He should have gone back to California where the sun shined. "Hey, stranger." He said. "Hey." There was an awkward silence. "How are you? I haven't seen you in two years." She pursed her lips and smiled, "Actually. You have, multiple times." He could tell she was agitated. "Hey! I meant I haven't seen you in two years." She raised her eyebrows, "I still don't follow." "I haven't seen the you that doesn't dress in sweatpants and crocs or the you that buys stuff to bake again." She smiled, "Yeah. I guess I haven't been....myself in a while." He smiled at her, "It's nice to see this Katherine." He finished checking her out. "I hope I can see her more often." She smiled once more on her way out. "We'll see."

Katherine returned to her house, hung up her coat, and got to work. She started with the crust and worked her way up, all the way to the lattice pie top. She baked it for twenty minutes and it was time to eat. She walked into the living room after opening gifts and set the pie down. "Don't judge too much. I'm a little rusty." The family dug into the pie as Katherine waited for a response, "Oh my god!" Vickey exclaimed. "This is your best yet." She said, trying not to lose any pie out of her mouth. "What did you do this time?" James asked, "I made it for Harry. Hoping it will finally let me move on." Howard sr. raised his eyebrows. "Did it work?" She smiled looking out the window, "He'll never go away but a very wise person told me, I can't let death be the reason I don't live." 

"I'm gonna go for a walk," Katherine said after some time. "Alright. Hurry back." Her mother said as Katherine walked out the door. Katherine had walked down the block and was walking when she saw someone laying on the road. She ran to them to help them. "Hello? Are you okay?" There was no answer from the man on the ground so she felt for his pulse. After realizing he was dead she got up and turned around to call 911. The next morning she woke up in her bed in the same pajamas from the day before. She had an excruciating headache that wouldn't stop. She trudged to her bathroom mirror and looked at herself in the mirror. "What the hell happened last night." She studied herself for a moment. "Wait..." She touched the side of her neck where there was dried blood. She had a pit in her stomach. "I'm so hungry." She groaned. She took her pills out to take them and when she opened her mouth she saw dried blood. "WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED LAST NIGHT!"