Chapter Eight

Dean looked back at the others, already beginning to unpack their bags.

'We could keep going,' he offered. 'Just give us a couple of hours to rest the horses.'

Castiel sighed, but nodded.

'Great.' Dean ran over and stopped the rest of the guard from unpacking and told them the plan.

They all agreed with no argument at all and milled around while the horses ate and drank. They were all eager to be home.

Castiel didn't move much, unwilling to jostle his shoulder. He was even paler under the moonlight, and Dean could see him shivering.

'This isn't looking good,' he muttered to Benny.

'I agree. We need to get him back as soon as possible.'

'All right everyone, load up,' Dean called. 'Let's get home already, I'm sick of all this dust.'

The King painfully mounted his horse again, and Dean rode up beside him.

'Are you all right?'

Castiel nodded, but grabbed his shoulder when the horse began moving again. 'We'll be home soon.'

Alfie rode ahead of them to scout the road, and the rest of them rode tightly together.

Castiel didn't seem to notice, instead focussing on the road ahead of him.

Just as the sun peeked over the horizon, their horses' hooves found soft grass at last. Castiel let out a sigh and he seemed to relax, though he still held his shoulder, wincing at every step.

After so much time away, the grass was sweet to smell, and almost seemed too green to their eyes.

The horses were eager to nibble on it, so once they were over the border, Castiel finally allowed them to stop.

'I think we should all get some rest,' he said quietly.

'Do you want some help down?' Dean asked, biting his lip anxiously.

'Thank you.'

The sun had fully risen by the time their camp was set up. No one except Castiel wanted to lie inside their tents on such a nice day, so they tied up their horses and prepared themselves for a nap in the sun.

Castiel, however, was still very much in pain, but doing his best not to show it. He called Dean into his tent to treat the shoulder as best he could. The bruise was now fully-formed, turning the King's shoulder into a mottled purple and green mess. It was still swollen and the skin around the bruise was red and puffy.

Dean sucked in a breath when he saw it.

'Is it bad?' the King asked.

'I've seen worse,' he said. 'But not by much.'

Castiel nodded. 'It'll be fine once we get there.'

'We're about half a day out. We really want to get you there, but...'

Castiel waved him off. 'I'm not the only one with injuries.'

Dean nodded, thinking of Ash's lingering limp, Benny's black eye, the wound on Jack's eyebrow that kept opening and dripping blood, and the cut on his own cheek that felt tight and itchy.

'Get some rest, Dean. We're across the border now. It's safe.'

'All right. Let me fix this bandage first, though.'

It was afternoon by the time they departed again. The sun blazed down on them, and they removed their armour. The relief was palpable when the mountain finally appeared on the horizon.