Bake-Off

I'm not sure if I should really be in a baking competition, but Stiltskin is the boss and as long as I'm a part of the Stiltskin Squad, I guess I have to be a loyal member.

In all honesty, this new uniform looks ridiculous on me with the sparkly purple tulle and ball gown material, with sparkly gold stockings underneath, a gold sweater overtop, and shiny purple heels. Stiltskin got my favorite pair of boots back for me (they were on the roof, of all places. I'm so glad Harlow isn't my teacher anymore) but asked me to wear the proper uniform today so I am. He respects me and I respect him. He has a good view for Enchantasia and I firmly believe that if everyone saw the world the way Stiltskin and I do, Enchantasia could be a better place.

"Okay, I think I have it memorized," Maxine says as we walk down the hallway to get to the former magic-carpet racing track, which is now Stiltskin's Kitchen. As one of the 'most promising members of the Stiltskin Squad', it was my responsibility to show up early and help prepare for the bake-off with the Royal Court.

"'Yes, Stiltskin is the best Headmaster. He has done wondrous things for our school and this bake-off has been a hoot to throw!'," Maxine continues, reciting the approved, pre-written statements that Rumpelstiltskin prepared for Happily Ever After Scroll reporters. Maxine was one of the few students who had the honor of speaking to HEAS today!

When we turn into the room, my jaw hits the floor. I see Stiltskin has already taken care of most of the preparation himself. It looks like a candy factory exploded in here. The walls are covered in candy-patterned wallpaper, and candy covered chandeliers dripping with candy hang from the ceiling. The floor has been transformed from stone to purple glass that screams Purple People Eater Licorice. In the center of the room, I spy several long tables with mixing bowls, magical mixers, spoons, and baking supplies. Ovens line the back wall, along with a large, candy-covered stopwatch.

"Gillian! There you are," a voice booms through the giant room that Maxine and I are standing in alone. I turn around and see the Stiltskin come towards us. He's dressed like a rocker in a gold glitter ensemble. "Ah, Maxine, do you have your lines memorized?"

"Yes sir!" Maxine says proudly.

He turns back to me. "Now, Gilly, I need you to work the Giant Gummies table for now." He points to a table with giant gummy machines set up. "I've got a few kids handing out bags of candy. Keep everything over there in line, I'll let you know your next assignment when the event starts." He stomps away, out of the room, and I can see the initials RS lit up on the back of his jacket. I head over to my station like I was assigned to.

Just a few seconds later, a few more kids with RS badges come pouring into the room with bags, getting ready for the rest of the Rumpelstiltskin Squad and the other unloyal students to show up. A girl with pitch black braids comes prancing by my station, chewing a piece of gum very loudly.

"Hey, you're Maxine's new roommate, right?" I ask. I was supposed to get out of this joint at the same time as Maxine's old roommate, but after I learned what Stiltskin had planned for me, I had to stay. My younger sister, Anna, has been blowing off all my Pegasus Posts because she's mad at me for staying, but she'll forgive me eventually.

The girl stops and looks at me. "Yeah. Got in last night for nabbing some candy with my brother."

"Well, you've come to the right place for candy," I joke. "And as Stiltskin always says, 'If you can't become a better person-"

"Become a better villain," the two of us say at the same time.

"What's your name?" I ask.

"Gretel," she responds.

I'm momentarily caught off guard. "Like Hansel and Gretel?"

She nods. Woah. I didn't know they ended up here. I've heard about their adventures in the Black Forest when they came across the gingerbread house.