The Choice

Daniel stood at a crossroad. The road to his left was coated in darkness, harboring whatever creature the universe conjured. The road to his right led back to his small town, where his girlfriend and family were sleeping soundly. Carried on his body was nothing, no baggage, no shirt, not even pants. But in his heart he carried much. The pain of loss and regret, a tally of what-ifs. Certain decisions brought Daniel to this crossroad. His decisions up to this point were shrouded in the gluttonous impulse of human desire. His bare skin did not feel chilled in the night breeze. He gazed down the path to his left, where many humans have gone down but never returned from. The path held all of the universe's answers, yet none of them. It was infinite, yet restricted to the confines of the human imagination. No living being knew of the path's destination. It was the beginning of the end, a new journey born out of the death of an old one.
The path to Daniel's right was all that he knew. The comfortable life of middle class rewards and expenses. The euphoric repetition of patterns to satisfy the mammal's machine. Twenty years have passed since Daniel began his journey, a difficult one inflamed with sadness. Twenty long years and Daniel has finally given up. His naked body was turned completely to the left path, accepting the idea of a new journey. One full of mystery, perhaps where he will fair better. Maybe it's the exact same, but in his mind Daniel knows he will travel differently this time. Taking different paths, making new decisions. With his mind unraveling as he walked, Daniel made his choice.