Untitled Part 7

Warm gusts of wind touched Cecilia's skin, loose strands of her curly hair whipped around her face, pesky as a fly, but she didn't care.

The speed, the sound, the way the world rushed past them as they went racing down an open stretch of road made her want to scream and laugh; but she just sat, relaxed and unmoving with her head laid back to let the wind wash over her as Tommy drove them through the country in his new car.

Lazily, Cecilia turned her head to watch him, the trees and sky framed by the window just a blur of color behind his profile.

Tommy's cap was down hiding his eyes from her and the sun. His hands gripped the wheel, and she admired the way his well muscled forearms flexed and moved as he kept control of the car, calmly enjoying the ride as much as she.

They were on their way to see the Lee family. John's wife had given birth a few months ago, and there was finally time for a celebration, now that the problem with Sabini had been taken care of after the attempt on her life.

Cecilia sighed, shaking her head as she thought of all the blood shed for money and status. The henchmen sent to kill her and send a message to Tommy had only been the tip of the iceberg. So much had happened after that, some she knew of most she never would, as he wanted nothing more than to protect her. But by putting business first, and plans on hold, Tommy was now in full control of all bets and races and Sabini was out of the way, leaving the two families to enjoy the good life, and today they would start it by welcoming a child into the world.

A wild, dangerous world. 

With her eyes back on the road ahead, Cecilia thought about it. 

If the baby was lucky, it would live to know real love and comfort. It wouldn't starve each night, or wash with dirty water once a week like so many of the children born in the city. It would never watch it's father struggle to keep them housed or hear it's mother cry for fear of all the things a mother should be able to protect her child from.

That baby has a real chance at a wonderful life because it's father is a Shelby.

Her mind on children and motherhood, she looked down over the small swell of her breast to watch the fabric of her pale yellow dress flutter in the wind. She tried to see if her belly would show yet. She tried to see if maybe he might be able to tell. But nothing looked different. Only she knew, and it wasn't certain. But a woman just knows these things, or so she hoped. Either way, Cecilia wouldn't tell Tommy about the baby until it was fact, and not just an inkling of things to come.

After a while, she could see the colored flags decorating the Lee camp peeking over the pale green hills. They flapped wildly in the breeze and she was thankful for the wind on this hot summer day.

They arrived quickly then, over a small hill and down into the safety of family and friends.

She watched with a smile as Tommy was greeted with laughter and hugs from the men. They patted him on the back and kissed his strong jaw, all the while he just smiled and shook hands.

Always so collected. She thought as she stepped out of the car.

Feeling relaxed, she made her way through the noisy bunch, most of them smiling at her, though not all of the smiles seemed genuine. But she didn't let it bother her.         

Instead, she looked through the small sea of faces, and found the ones she'd been looking for.

The family had gone ahead of them, and were scattered about now. Ada was talking to some of the women. Arthur played a game of skill and luck on the steps of a caravan. And there standing beneath the colorful flags she found Polly and John's wife Esme.